(with an opportunity for leadership for a suitably qualified person)
Permanent Full-Time (Starting August 2023)
Mulgrave is one of Canada’s leading independent co-educational pre-K – 12 day schools, serving the North Shore of Vancouver. We are an established IB Continuum World School with a reputation for excellence and innovation. We are seeking an experienced secondary-level Design teacher to teach MYP Design in Grades 6-10 starting in August 2023. The ideal candidate will be a lifelong learner with an innovative mindset, a wide range of technical skills in product design, and a track record of encouraging and supporting students to pursue their individual and unique interests and make transdisciplinary connections in design and the related STEAM fields. Experience and interest in teaching an additional MYP/DP subject will also be an advantage in the application process.
In addition to teaching MYP Design (a required subject for all students in G6-9, optional in G10), the successful candidate will also have the opportunity to teach and develop engaging electives as part of our innovative Middle School LEAP (Learning Enrichment and Personalization) programme. Current design-related offerings include Robotics, Design Thinking, Coding, Video Game Design, Textiles with opportunities to develop electives in Woodworking, Plastic forming, CAD/CAM, and Environmental Design, and more. There may be the possibility of offering some options in grades 11 and 12. We are looking for someone with the confidence and design studio management skills to allow students at all grade levels to develop their key skills across the design cycle and to work independently in a range of material areas.
Mulgrave School boasts several purpose-built, dedicated Design teaching spaces, including a newly opened Makerspace. State-of-the-art resources that support teaching and learning include 3D printers, laser cutters, die-cutting machines, woodworking equipment, Adobe suite, and much more. Technicians support the art and design teachers in their work.
For the suitably qualified candidate, this position may include a leadership role with responsibility for coordinating the planning and delivery of MYP Art and Design instruction, promoting the highest quality of classroom practice, ensuring vertical and horizontal continuity and progression, and fostering collaboration between Art and Design and other subject areas.
In this role you will:
- Inspire students to achieve their personal best by providing a rich and engaging programme that develops students’ skills, promotes curiosity and love of learning, and prioritises well-being.
- Teach in a fast-paced, highly collaborative professional environment, where innovation is encouraged and student learning and well-being drive everything we do.
- Benefit from a low student-teacher ratio and a stimulating, well-resourced, technology-rich classroom environment.
- Provide the best possible learning environment for our highly diverse, multicultural student population.
- Provide opportunities to enrich learning through the exploration in the arts, athletics, outdoor education, service, leadership and more.
- Appropriately challenge students, allowing them to feel safe, seen and that they belong.
Including but not limited to the following:
- Teach MYP Design in Grades 6-10
- Lead and develop LEAP elective programme offerings
- Develop a classroom environment that builds positive relationships and fosters an ethic of care
- Design, prepare and deliver learning activities that facilitate authentic engagement
- Keep up to date with developments in subject areas, teaching resources and methods
- Identify and select instructional resources and methods to meet students’ varying needs
- Use relevant technology to enhance instruction and learning
- Design and implement a range of authentic formative and summative assessments, providing appropriate and timely feedback to students
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress for the purposes of teaching, learning and reporting
- Establish a positive classroom environment and foster positive student conduct in accordance with the philosophy, values and disciplinary approach of the school
- Contribute to school life by leading co-curricular activities
- Have Canadian residency and be legally entitled to work in Canada, or be prepared, with the school’s support, to go through the process of applying for the appropriate visa and permissions from the Canadian and BC authorities prior to commencing work
- Have 5+ years of successful experience teaching Design to Middle and/or Senior School students
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- Have knowledge and understanding of the International Baccalaureate programmes, preferably with experience teaching in the Middle Years Programme (MYP)
- Hold or be able to attain BC teacher certification
- Hold an age-appropriate First Aid Certificate or be willing to obtain one
- Have appropriate training and skill to safely operate Design Technology equipment
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Commitment
In order to provide the best possible learning environment for our highly diverse, multicultural student population, Mulgrave actively seeks to recruit teachers from groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in independent and international school faculties. BIPoC and 2SLGBTQ+ educators and those with disabilities are warmly encouraged to apply, and invited to reach out for more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
The salary range for this position will be $86,000 to $113,000 based on skills and experience. This position will also include BC Medical coverage, health & dental benefits, tuition discount at Mulgrave and RRSP contribution. Applicants should either be Canadian and a provincially certified teacher or be prepared, with our support, to go through the process of applying for the appropriate visa and permissions from the Canadian and BC authorities prior to commencement.
Please see our website for further information about our school and a detailed job description at www.mulgrave.com.
Your resume and cover letter should be submitted to https://mulgrave.bamboohr.com/jobs/ by March 31st, 2023. Interviews for this position will be ongoing.
We thank all interested parties. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit mulgrave.bamboohr.com.