Grade 7 Teacher (Language Arts, Social Studies)
Junior School (Gr. 1-7)
Full Time, 1.0 FTE
Starting September 1, 2021
Teaching at York House School
York House School is a vibrant and close-knit school community where people feel valued, engaged, and connected to the school. Our faculty enjoys robust professional development opportunities that support the ongoing design of strong foundational and transformative learning experiences. Our rigorous and innovative programs enable our Yorkies to develop knowledge, skills, and global competencies to succeed in the world beyond our doors. On an ongoing basis, we invite the creative input of faculty in the development of these programs.
About this Role
York House School is inviting applications from creative, innovative and qualified Middle Grades Teachers committed to providing an exceptional 21st century learning environment for our girls. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellence in instructional and assessment practices, a passion for teaching, and a strong understanding of how girls learn. This Grade 7 teacher position will teach Applied Design, Skills and Technologies, Language Arts, and Social Studies. Homeroom teachers enable an environment that is conducive to girls learning. It is recognized that teachers provide services to the school in both curricular, and extracurricular activities.
- Bachelor of Education
- British Columbia Teachers certification or equivalent
- Familiarity with new BC Curriculum is an asset
- Elementary / Intermediate school qualifications
- Three years of Elementary / Intermediate teaching experience is preferred
- Independent School experience is an asset
- Coaching and/or extra-curricular experience is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Strong knowledge of British Columbia Curriculum
- Knowledge and experience in small group instruction for literacy
- Knowledge of the current research on girls and learning
- Demonstrated experience as an enthusiastic, innovative, and caring educator with a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Collaborative and flexible, supportive, and effective team-player
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships with all stakeholders
- Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to educating the whole student
- Demonstrated ability to integrate technology purposefully to transform learning
- Demonstrated ability to differentiate instruction and assessment practices to meet the needs of individual learners
- Experience with using Understanding by Design as a framework to teach for deeper understanding
- Experience using an inquiry-based and project-based learning approach
- Committed to continuous professional growth and improvement
Faculty at York House are provided the following:
A diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Small class sizes and time for planning and working collaboratively.
- Access to exceptional resources.
- A robust peer Mentorship Program.
- Comprehensive compensation and benefits package
Please apply online here.
Closing Date: May 13, 2021
All employees of YHS must be able to provide a vulnerable sector screening criminal record report. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About York House School
York House School, located in the heart of Vancouver, is one of Canada’s leading independent schools for girls. Founded in 1932 by seven progressive and insightful women, York House provides an outstanding education for approximately 650 girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12. For more information about York House School, please visit our website at yorkhouse.ca.
To apply for this job please visit yorkhouse.bamboohr.com.