Assistant Director of Junior School
Starting January 2022
Working at York House School
York House School is a vibrant and close-knit school community where people feel valued, engaged, and connected to the school. All staff contribute towards our rigorous and innovative programs that enable our Yorkies to develop knowledge, skills, and global competencies to succeed in the world beyond our doors.
The Assistant Director of the Junior School will cultivate strong relationships among students, families, teachers, and staff in support of a vibrant culture of teaching and learning from JK-Grade 7. This individual enables the effective and efficient administration of the daily operations of the Little and Junior Schools in support of a culture of curiosity, care and connection. The Assistant Director will work collaboratively with, and under the supervision of, the Director of the Junior School. Experience in Early Childhood and/or Elementary Education is a priority.
- Ensures the smooth running of daily operations of the Little and Junior Schools
- Collaborates with the Administrative Team to advance the mission, vision, values, and strategic priorities of
- York House School
Collaborates with all stakeholders of the Little and Junior Schools to support curricular, co-curricular programs, and classroom operations
- Leads initiatives in partnership with Little School teachers
Community and Relationships
- Takes initiative to support the care of students and teachers and build strong teams in the Little and Junior Schools, engages in problem-solving as needed, and ensures that students and staff support school policies and procedures
- Serves as an important point of contact regarding student life and discipline
- Serves as a first point of contact with teachers to address classroom concerns and opportunities
- Oversees initiatives in Student Life and Community-Service, including assemblies
Teaching and Learning
- Demonstrates a strong literacy and/or numeracy background
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of the BC Curriculum
- Collaborates with Director of Junior School to implement curriculum priorities, JK-7
- Engages in bi-weekly, co-planning meetings with teachers in the Little and Junior schools to deepen practices of curriculum, instruction, and assessment
- Stays abreast of the latest trends and educational research on developing 21st Century capacities, global competencies, and girls’ education. Demonstrates experience with inquiry-based learning, differentiation, and Understanding by Design
- Plans and leads staff meetings and parent workshops with Director of Junior School
- May be required to teach at the Junior School as directed by the Head of School
- Other duties may be assigned as needed
- Coordinates operational systems including traffic duty, Level 1 excursions, scheduling of teacher supervision, and oversees Teacher-On-Call coverage
- Coordinates the Foundations Skills Assessments (FSA) and Middle Years Development Instrument (MDI) testing and data analysis in support of school improvement
- Participates in Little/Junior School events and activities, admissions assessment, interviews, and evaluation
- Participates in interviewing, hiring, teacher evaluation and support of professional growth of employees
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated practices as a caring and curious educator
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and exhibit a strong work ethic
- Demonstrated ability to respond and adapt to changing school needs
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with various stakeholders to build strong relationships
- Demonstrated ability to develop, manage, and implement programs
- Experience in problem-solving and use of conflict-resolution skills
- Bachelor of Education; Master’s in Education is an asset
- Depth of knowledge in early childhood, Reggio Emilia philosophy, and elementary education, literacy and/or numeracy is an asset
- 3 years of leadership experience in an educational setting is an asset
- 5+ years of teaching experience
Please apply online here.
Closing Date: November 30, 2021
All employees of YHS must be able to provide a passed vulnerable sector screening criminal record report. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About York House School
York House School, located in the heart of Vancouver, is one of Canada’s leading independent schools for girls. Founded in 1932 by seven progressive and insightful women, York House provides an outstanding education for approximately 650 girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12. For more information about York House School, please visit our website at yorkhouse.ca.
To apply for this job please visit yorkhouse.bamboohr.com.