Mulgrave is one of Canada’s leading independent co-educational pre-K – 12 day schools, serving the North Shore of Vancouver. We are an established IB Continuum World School with a reputation for excellence and innovation. We are seeking an experienced University Counsellor to start with us as soon as possible.
Working alongside three other university & careers counsellors and the Middle and Senior School Leadership Teams, you will provide careers education and university guidance to students in Grades 8-12 to enable them to make informed decisions about post-secondary education and careers, and acquire the necessary skills to successfully manage their university applications.
The role involves working with the Director of University Counselling and other team members, teaching faculty, and other colleagues to continuously refine and improve the delivery of university and careers preparation, information and guidance throughout the Upper School. The role also involves partnering with families to help them better understand the process in order to more effectively support their children.
- Plan and deliver a progressive programme of careers and post-secondary education and individual guidance for students and families in the Upper School (Middle & Senior Schools)
- Work closely with teachers and advisors in the Upper School to ensure that all students benefit from a well-designed programme of general and individual careers and higher education guidance
- Plan a strategy for “well in time” information on higher education guidance with good information and communication strategies of advice to teachers, students and families
- Oversee the university applications process for a caseload of students, including assuring the quality of all application materials
- Help to manage the Careers and Post-Secondary Education Centre resources
- Develop and maintain expertise and connections through conference attendance, campus visits, professional development opportunities, university tours etc.
- Collaborate in facilitating and leading careers and higher education group sessions, workshops and presentations to stakeholders, including some events taking place outside school hours
All Mulgrave faculty are expected to:
- Create a learning environment that builds positive relationships and fosters an ethic of care
- Identify and select resources and methods to meet students’ varying needs
- Use relevant technology to enhance instruction and learning
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress
- Participate in faculty and parent meetings and special events
- Model respectful and timely communication with students, colleagues and families
- Attend professional development workshops as required by the school
- Endorse the school’s Mission and Values
- Hold or be willing to obtain an age appropriate First Aid Certificate
The ideal candidate will have:
- Thorough understanding of International Baccalaureate programmes, and particularly the IB Diploma and its implications for higher education
- In-depth knowledge of testing related to university admissions (e.g. PSAT, SAT, ACT, TOEFL)
- Broad, current knowledge of the higher education landscape in North America and the UK
- Familiarity with higher education application processes and systems (e.g. OUAC, Common Application, UCAS)
- Experience with IT systems that support higher education guidance (e.g. Naviance)
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills that motivate colleagues, students and families
- Applicants must be Canadian residents and legally entitled to work in Canada, or be prepared, with our support, to go through the process of applying for the appropriate visa and permissions from the Canadian and BC authorities prior to commencement
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience as a secondary university and/or careers counselor OR relevant experience in a selective university or college admissions office
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
Excellent communication skills in spoken and written English
- Masters degree in a relevant subject area
- Valid certification to teach in British Columbia
- Fluency in an additional language
The salary range for this position will be $74,000 to $102,000 based on skills and experience. This position will also include health & dental benefits, tuition discount at Mulgrave and RRSP contribution.
Please see our website for further information about our school and a detailed job description at www.mulgrave.com.
Your resume and covering letter should be submitted to https://mulgrave.bamboohr.com/jobs/. Interviews for this position will be ongoing until successfully filled.
We thank all interested parties. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit mulgrave.bamboohr.com.