Full-time, Temporary (2023.24 Academic Year)
Mulgrave, the International School of Vancouver, is looking for a PYP Music Teacher to join our experienced team of forward-looking educators to connect with and inspire our students to outstanding levels of achievement. As IB Continuum School, we develop students’ critical thinking skills, and foster curiosity and creativity to prepare students for a diverse and ever-changing world. This position will commence in August 2023.
Teaching and Learning in Performing Arts is supported by a suite of purpose-built facilities including band and choral rooms, multiple practice studios, a studio theatre, and a larger performance space and auditorium. Music and performing arts are well-resourced, and supported enthusiastically by both students and the broader school community.
In this role you will:
- Inspire students to achieve their personal best by providing a rich and engaging programme that develops students’ skills, promotes curiosity and love of learning, and prioritises well-being.
- Teach in a fast-paced, highly collaborative professional environment, where innovation is encouraged and student learning and well-being drive everything we do.
- Benefit from a low student-teacher ratio and a stimulating, well-resourced, technology-rich classroom environment.
- Provide the best possible learning environment for our highly diverse, multicultural student population.
- Provide opportunities to enrich learning through the exploration in the arts, athletics, outdoor education, service, leadership and more.
- Appropriately challenge students, allowing them to feel safe, seen and that they belong.
- Teach PYP Music courses in PK-Grade 5, through an inquiry, concept-based approach to teaching and learning
- Direct two co-curricular music ensembles and build a strong sense of community through the co-curricular music programme, built around the inherent joy in making music together
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of and passion for elementary arts education
- Connect with and inspire students to outstanding levels of achievement in music
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues in the Performing Arts team as well as with PYP classroom teachers and other specialists
All Mulgrave teachers are expected to:
- Develop a classroom environment that builds positive relationships and fosters an ethic of care
- Design, prepare and deliver learning activities that facilitate authentic engagement
- Identify and select instructional resources and methods to meet students’ varying needs
- Use relevant technology to enhance instruction and learning
- Design and implement a range of authentic formative and summative assessments, providing appropriate and timely feedback to students
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress for the purposes of teaching, learning and reporting
- Participate in faculty and parent meetings and special events
- Model respectful and timely communication with students, colleagues and parents
- Attend professional development workshops as required by the school
- Endorse the school’s mission and values
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada (Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or in possession of a valid work visa)
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with young people, ideally in a school-based setting
- Hold or be willing to obtain an age appropriate First Aid Certificate
Preferred Experience and Qualities (in no particular order):
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Music or Music Education
- Current British Columbia teacher certification
- Knowledge and understanding of the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme
- Successful experience teaching in the PYP
- Orff-Schulwerk training
- Demonstrated experience in leadership for music programming, including concert preparation, trip organisation and special events planning
- Experience directing music ensembles at performances
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for connecting with students beyond the classroom, through athletics, co-curriculars, etc.
- Experience teaching in a technology-rich environment
Involvement with the IB Educator Network as a Workshop Leader, Examiner, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong organisational, communication, administrative and interpersonal skills
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Commitment
In order to provide the best possible learning environment for our highly diverse, multicultural student population, Mulgrave actively seeks to recruit teachers from groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in independent and international school faculties. BIPoC and 2SLGBTQ+ educators and those with disabilities are warmly encouraged to apply, and invited to reach out for more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
Please visit our website at www.mulgrave.com for further information about our School.
Resumes should be submitted through https://mulgrave.bamboohr.com/jobs/ by March 26, 2023. Given the location of the school, applicants must provide their own transportation.
We thank all interested parties. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit mulgrave.bamboohr.com.