Mulgrave is one of Canada’s leading independent co-educational pre-K – 12 day schools, serving the North Shore of Vancouver. We are an established IB Continuum World School with a reputation for excellence and innovation. We are now seeking applicants for the role of PYP Learning Strategies Teacher.
Mulgrave School teachers inspire students to achieve their personal best by providing a rich and engaging programme that develops students’ skills, promotes curiosity and love of learning, and prioritises well-being. All students follow the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP) from PK3 through Grade 5, and teaching and learning are enriched by opportunities for exploration in the arts, athletics, outdoor education, service, leadership, and more.
Mulgrave is a fast-paced and highly collaborative professional environment, where innovation is encouraged and student learning and well-being drive everything we do. Collaborative planning time is built into the weekly schedule, allowing teams to work closely together and learn from one another. A low student-teacher ratio and a stimulating, well-resourced, technology-rich environment make this an exceptional place to teach. Our teachers get to know their students well, both in and out of the classroom, and work together to ensure that every student is appropriately challenged, feels safe and seen, and knows that they belong at Mulgrave.
In order to provide the best possible learning environment for our highly diverse, multicultural student population, Mulgrave actively seeks to recruit teachers from groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in independent and international school faculties. BIPoC and 2SLGBTQ+ educators and those with disabilities are warmly encouraged to apply, and invited to reach out for more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
Mulgrave’s Learning Strategies program aims to develop students’ academic, self-management, and self-advocacy skills while promoting positive attitudes toward learning and self-confidence in the face of challenges. We provide additional support to students with a wide range of mild to moderate learning needs and exceptionalities, through a multi-tiered approach that requires close collaboration and communication among teachers, learning strategists, and other colleagues.
The PYP Learning Strategies Teacher will work with PK3-Grade 5 students and their families, classroom and specialist teachers, other student support personnel including the school counselor, and the Early Years and Junior School leadership teams to ensure that all Mulgrave students develop effective learning strategies and receive the necessary support to allow them to achieve their personal best.
Duties and Responsibilities
Including but not limited to the following:
- Provide one-on-one and small-group support for students
- Support classroom and specialist teachers in understanding and addressing the range of needs of students in their classrooms
- Work with classroom and specialist teachers to ensure the provision of Tier 1 interventions
- Partner with classroom teachers to identify students in need of additional support and strategies
- Collaboratively develop, monitor and update IEPs and other required documentation as well as school-based support plans
- Maintain accurate and thorough student records and communicate student information to colleagues as needed
- Collect and analyze data to understand student progress and refine strategies
- Develop effective partnerships with parents to ensure open and timely communication
- Support classroom and specialist teachers by offering resources and advice and by modeling instructional strategies
- Support students in the development of effective Approaches to
- Learning to promote academic success
- Participate in and lead school-based team meetings and referral process
- Coordinate with outside specialists and providers as necessary
All Mulgrave teachers are expected to:
- Develop a learning and teaching environment that builds positive relationships and fosters an ethic of care
- Design, prepare and deliver learning activities that facilitate authentic engagement
- Identify and select instructional resources and methods to meet students’ varying needs
- Use relevant technology to enhance instruction and learning
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress for the purposes of teaching, learning and reporting
- Participate in faculty and parent meetings and special events
- Model respectful and timely communication with students, colleagues and parents
- Attend professional development workshops as required by the school
- Endorse the school’s mission and values
- Must be a Canadian resident and legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must meet or be willing to obtain all requirements to be certified to teach in British Columbia
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience in a school setting
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Education or the equivalent
- Hold or be willing to obtain an age appropriate First Aid Certificate
Preferred Experience and Qualities:
- Experience providing student support (Special Education, Learning
- Strategies, Educational Psychology, or related) in an educational setting
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of best practices in learning strategies and inclusion
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong organisational, communication, administrative and interpersonal skills
- Experience as a classroom teacher in an elementary school
- Academic qualification in Special Education or a closely related subject area
- Familiarity and experience with RTI and Reading Recovery/LLI
- Knowledge and understanding of the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme
Please visit our website at www.mulgrave.com for further information about our School and a detailed job description.
Resumes should be submitted through https://mulgrave.bamboohr.com/jobs/ by December 15, 2022. Given the location of the school, applicants must provide their own transportation.
We thank all interested parties. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit mulgrave.bamboohr.com.