Mulgrave, the International School of Vancouver, seeks an inspirational Junior School Vice-Principal for August 2024. Mulgrave is a gender inclusive, secular IB World School. An independent day school with a reputation for academic excellence and for providing a broad, holistic education, we offer the International Baccalaureate Continuum to students from Pre-K to Grade 12 in a spectacular West Vancouver setting.
Mulgrave’s Junior School (Grades 1-5) is a fast-paced and highly collaborative professional environment, where innovation is encouraged and student learning and well-being drive everything we do. Extraordinary colleagues and a stimulating, well-resourced, technology-rich environment make this an exceptional place to teach and learn. Two hours of collaborative planning time are built into the weekly schedule, allowing grade and subject teams to work closely together and learn from one another. In addition to a classroom teaching staff of 26, teaching and learning in the Junior School are further supported by a dedicated Personal Counselor, a dynamic six-person Learning Strategies team, coordinators for Math and Literacy, a librarian, a technology integrationist, and specialist teachers in languages (French and Mandarin), Music, and PHE.
We are seeking an inspirational, experienced Junior School Vice Principal to begin in August 2024. The Vice Principal is a core member of the Junior School Leadership Team, working closely with the Junior School Principal and another Vice Principal. While the exact division of responsibilities among the three members of the Junior School Leadership Team is under review and will take into account the experience and interests of the successful candidate, the collective goals of the Junior School Leadership Team are to:
- Promote excellence in teaching and learning, including staff support and development
- Oversee the implementation of the academic program, with a particular focus on the development, implementation, and review of the IB PYP Programme of Inquiry
- Continuously improve student life and pastoral care, including co-curricular enrichment, community building, and a strong home-school partnership
As a member of the Junior School Leadership Team, the VP will assume or share responsibility for:
- Curriculum & Pedagogical Leadership
- Continuously developing and refining the PYP curriculum and POI (Programme of Inquiry)
- Conducting classroom observations and employing instructional coaching methodologies to improve teaching and learning
- Working directly with the Math and Literacy Coordinators to share developmentally appropriate best practices in literacy and numeracy
- Modelling and co-teaching to promote best practice in inquiry-based teaching and learning
- Supporting specialist teachers and departments in all aspects of curriculum, teaching and learning
- Coordinating the PYP:
- Disseminating information and updates from the IB and ensuring that all teachers have access to online IB resources and portals
- Registering staff for IB workshops and maintaining accurate records of IB professional development
- Leading PYP Evaluation & other accreditation processes
- Student Support Leadership
- Overseeing grade level transitions in terms of class composition, transfer of student data and records
- Working with teachers to reinforce a positive school culture with high expectations for student behaviour
- Managing disciplinary and behavioural concerns with a fair and consistent approach
- Promoting student health and well-being through curricular and co-curricular programming and community events, including assemblies
- Working with the JS Learning Support team and Personal Counselor to identify and support students who can benefit from their services
- Liaising with colleagues in the Early Years & Middle School Divisions to oversee EY – JS – MS progression and transitions
- Staff Leadership
- Supporting and developing associate teachers (one per class in G1-3 and one per grade in G 4& 5)
- Supporting faculty development and professional growth through the TPGP process
- Planning and leading valuable and productive CPT sessions focused on student learning
- School/Home Partnership
- Leading informational and educational events for parents and ensuring a productive partnership between school and home
- Ensuring the effective use of Seesaw/Google classroom and other modes of communication with parents
- Managing processes for recording and reporting on student progress
- Divisional Management
- Overseeing JS classroom assemblies
- Deputising for the Principal in their absence
- Managing standardised testing including FSA and InCas assessments
- Using data to improve student learning, with the support of the school-wide Data Manager
- Developing the JS timetable and calendar
- Updating, sharing and implementing policies and procedures, including essential agreements
- Establishing faculty teaching assignments
- Participating in faculty recruitment
- Organising and leading orientation and training activities for new staff
- Representing the JSLT at various meetings and community events
- Participating in Strategic Action Planning and long-term planning activities
- Other duties as assigned by the Head or Deputy Head of School
In addition to the above there will be opportunities for the post holder to further develop their skills and experience in other areas of school life, to support their professional and career development.
This post is a key senior leadership position in the school and as such the post holder is a member of the Educational Leadership Team (ELT) and shares in the responsibility for the leadership and management of the whole school at a strategic and at an operational level.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada (Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or in possession of a valid work visa)
- Must have current British Columbia teacher certification, or be willing and able to attain certification before commencing
- 5+ years of teaching experience in Grades 1-5
- Hold or be willing to obtain an age appropriate First Aid Certificate
- Experience with the IB PYP
Preferred Experience (in no particular order):
- Expertise in inquiry-based teaching and learning
- 10+ years of teaching experience at the Junior School level
- Successful experience in a leadership role within a school setting
- Recent experience teaching and/or leading in a PYP school
- Involvement with the IB Educator Network as a Workshop Leader, Site Visitor, Examiner, etc.
- Masters Degree in Educational Leadership, Curriculum and Instruction, or related area
- Thorough understanding of the cognitive and social development of 5 – 11 year old children
- Knowledge and understanding of the BC Curriculum
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for connecting with students beyond the classroom, through athletics, co-curriculars, etc.
Personal Qualities and Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate:
- Endorse and model the school’s Mission, Vision, and Values
- Empathetic and approachable leadership style
- Student-centred practitioner with genuine love of working with children
- Organised and tech savvy
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Able to build and maintain successful relationships with students, families, and colleagues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Creative, innovative and forward thinker
- Role-model with high standards for self and others
- Able to sensitively but effectively improve the performance of others through coaching
- Lifelong learner with ambitions towards Principalship
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Commitment
In order to provide the best possible learning environment for our highly diverse, multicultural student population, Mulgrave actively seeks to recruit teachers from groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in independent and international school faculties. BIPoC and 2SLGBTQ+ educators and those with disabilities are warmly encouraged to apply, and invited to reach out for more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
The base annual salary for this position is competitive and falls within the range of $90,000 – 120,000. In addition, there is a responsibility stipend for this role of $12,000.00, plus the opportunity to earn a goal-related leadership bonus of $10,000.00. The final salary offer will be determined based on the candidate’s qualifications, and relevant experience in accordance with BC labour laws and company policies.
We offer a comprehensive salary and benefits package that is very competitive, as well as opportunities for professional growth. Our benefits include:
- Personal day
- Sick days
- A generous Extended Health Benefits package
- 8% RRSP contribution (non-matching)
- Employee assistance program
- Extensive professional development opportunities
- Plenty of opportunities to get to know your colleagues during our various social events throughout the year
- Fitness / weight room & trainer
- Chair massages
Please visit our website at www.mulgrave.com for further information about our School.
Resumes should be submitted through Mulgrave Careers by February 19th , 2024. Given the location of the school, applicants must provide their own transportation.
We thank all interested parties. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit mulgrave.bamboohr.com.