Permanent, Full-Time (start date: August 16, 2024)
Mulgrave School teachers inspire students to achieve their personal best by providing a rich and engaging programme that develops students’ skills, promotes curiosity and love of learning, and prioritises well-being.
All students follow the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) in Grades 6-10, and most students pursue the IB Diploma Programme (DP) in Grades 11 & 12, although about 20% each year opt for an Enriched Pathway to graduation that includes a mix of DP and other courses. Teaching and learning are enriched by opportunities for exploration in the arts, athletics, outdoor education, service, leadership, and more.
Mulgrave’s Senior School is a fast-paced and highly collaborative professional environment, where innovation is encouraged and student learning and well-being drive everything we do. 2.5 hours of collaborative planning time are built into the weekly schedule, allowing subject teams to work closely together and learn from one another. A low student-teacher ratio and a stimulating, well-resourced, technology-rich environment make this an exceptional place to teach. Our teachers get to know their students well, both in and out of the classroom, and work together to ensure that every student is appropriately challenged, feels safe and seen, and knows that they belong at Mulgrave.
We are seeking an inspirational, experienced IB DP Biology and ESS teacher for the 2024-25 school year. Most DP teachers also teach MYP courses as well, usually in Grades 9 & 10. Candidates with the appropriate background and interest may also be considered for learning leadership roles (e.g. Head of Department).
- Teach IB DP and MYP Biology, ESS, and General Science courses at a range of grade levels
- Contribute to curriculum planning and programme development as a member of the Science subject team
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of and passion for Science education
- Connect with and inspire students to outstanding levels of achievement in the sciences
- Serve as Homeroom Advisor for a group of approximately 12 Senior School students
- Supervise Extended Essays, as assigned by the Principal
- Support students’ post-secondary goals by providing reference letters as required
- Contribute to co-curricular programming (as a club supervisor, coach, etc.) and outdoor education experiences
- For candidates with the appropriate experience and interest, there may be a possibility of teaching another subject, such as Character Education or TOK
In this role you will:
- Inspire students to achieve their personal best by providing a rich and engaging programme that develops students’ skills, promotes curiosity and love of learning, and prioritises well-being.
- Teach in a fast-paced, highly collaborative professional environment, where innovation is encouraged and student learning and well-being drive everything we do.
- Benefit from a low student-teacher ratio and a stimulating, well-resourced, technology-rich classroom environment.
- Provide the best possible learning environment for our highly diverse, multicultural student population.
- Provide opportunities to enrich learning through the exploration in the arts, athletics, outdoor education, service, leadership and more.
- Appropriately challenge students, allowing them to feel safe, seen and that they belong.
All Mulgrave teachers are expected to:
- Develop a classroom environment that builds positive relationships and fosters an ethic of care
- Design, prepare and deliver learning activities that facilitate authentic engagement
- Identify and select instructional resources and methods to meet students’ varying needs
- Use relevant technology to enhance instruction and learning
- Design and implement a range of authentic formative and summative assessments, providing appropriate and timely feedback to students
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress for the purposes of teaching, learning and reporting
- Participate in faculty and parent meetings and special events
- Model respectful and timely communication with students, colleagues and parents
- Attend professional development workshops as required by the school
- Endorse the school’s mission and values
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada (Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or in possession of a valid work visa)
- Must have current British Columbia teacher certification, or be willing and able to attain certification before commencing
- Hold or be willing to obtain an age appropriate First Aid Certificate
- Minimum of 2 years of experience teaching Biology and/or Environmental Science in a secondary school setting
Preferred Experience and Qualities (in no particular order):
- 5+ years of relevant teaching experience
- Successful experience teaching Science in the IB MYP or DP
- Knowledge and understanding of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Knowledge and understanding of the BC Curriculum
- Demonstrated ability to support the diverse learning needs of students in a class through personalization
- Ability to teach multiple subjects
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for connecting with students beyond the classroom, through athletics, co-curriculars, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong organisational, communication, administrative and interpersonal skills
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Commitment
In order to provide the best possible learning environment for our highly diverse, multicultural student population, Mulgrave actively seeks to recruit teachers from groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in independent and international school faculties. BIPoC and 2SLGBTQ+ educators and those with disabilities are warmly encouraged to apply, and invited to reach out for more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
Please visit our website at www.mulgrave.com for further information about our School.
Resumes should be submitted through https://mulgrave.bamboohr.com/careers by February 10th , 2024. Given the location of the school, applicants must provide their own transportation.
The annual salary for this position is competitive and falls within the range of $86,000 to $119,000. The final salary offer will be determined based on the candidate’s qualifications, and relevant experience in accordance with BC labour laws and company policies.
We thank all interested parties. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit mulgrave.bamboohr.com.