Temporary Full-time (1 year contract)
Mulgrave is one of Canada’s leading independent co-educational pre-K – 12 day schools, serving the North Shore of Vancouver. We are an established IB Continuum World School with a reputation for excellence and innovation. We are now seeking applicants for the role of Associate Teacher.
Mulgrave’s Junior School inspires students to achieve their personal best by providing a rich and varied inquiry-based programme that develops students’ skills, promotes curiosity and love of learning, and prioritises well-being. Teaching and learning are based on the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme framework and philosophy, and enriched by opportunities for exploration in the arts, athletics, outdoor education, service, leadership, and more.
Our unique Associate Teacher model helps us to provide personalised support for every learner by ensuring a low student-teacher ratio and opportunities for flexible grouping. There is one Associate Teacher per class in K – Grade 3, and one per grade in Grades 4 & 5. Associate Teachers work alongside and benefit from the expertise of experienced Lead Teachers, and are mentored and supported in developing the skills, knowledge, and confidence to become successful and inspiring PYP educators.
Our Junior School is a fast-paced and highly collaborative professional environment, where innovation is encouraged and student learning and well-being drive everything we do. Small class sizes and a stimulating, well-resourced, technology-rich environment make this an exceptional place to teach. With three classes per grade, teaching teams can work closely together to ensure that every student is appropriately challenged, feels safe and seen, and knows that they belong at Mulgrave.
In order to provide the best possible learning environment for our highly diverse, multicultural student population, Mulgrave actively seeks to recruit teachers from groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in independent and international school faculties. BIPoC and 2SLGBTQ+ educators and those with disabilities are warmly encouraged to apply, and invited to reach out for more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the Associate Teacher for a PYP classroom or grade level (K-5)
- Develop an effective working partnership with the Lead Teacher(s), sharing responsibility for planning, instruction, and pastoral care to best meet students’ needs
- Contribute to student learning ‘beyond the classroom’ through participation in co-curricular activities (e.g. clubs, sports), Outdoor Education excursions and camps, field trips and special events, etc.
- Work closely with colleagues including the personal counsellor and learning strategies team to provide the highest possible level of personalised care and support
- More details about the responsibilities of the role can be found here
All Mulgrave teachers are expected to:
- Endorse the school’s mission and values and our commitment to nurturing a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive community
- Develop a classroom environment that builds positive relationships and fosters an ethic of care
- Design, prepare and deliver learning activities that facilitate authentic engagement
- Identify and select instructional resources and methods to meet students’ varying needs
- Use relevant technology to enhance instruction and learning
- Design and implement a range of authentic formative and summative assessments, providing appropriate and timely feedback to students
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress for the purposes of teaching, learning and reporting
- Participate in faculty and parent meetings and special events
- Model respectful and timely communication with students, colleagues and parents
- Attend professional development workshops as required by the school
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada (Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or in possession of a valid work visa)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working or volunteering with elementary-aged children
- Hold or be willing to obtain an age-appropriate First Aid Certificate
Preferred Experience and Qualities:
- Ambition to develop your professional skills as an educator
- British Columbia teacher certification, or certification from another province or jurisdiction
- BEd or equivalent degree in Education
- Knowledge and understanding of International Baccalaureate programmes, especially the Primary Years Programme
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Willingness to use feedback to continuously improve your teaching practice
- Strong organisational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Please visit our website at www.mulgrave.com for further information about our School.
Resumes should be submitted through https://mulgrave.bamboohr.com/jobs/ by August 21, 2022. Given the location of the school, applicants must provide their own transportation.
We thank all interested parties. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit mulgrave.bamboohr.com.