Mulgrave is one of Canada’s leading independent co-educational pre-K – 12 day schools, serving the North Shore of Vancouver. We are an established IB Continuum World School with a reputation for excellence and innovation. We are now seeking applicants for the role of School Counsellor to start in August 2021.
The successful candidate will join a three-person schoolwide counselling team, working across the four divisions (Early Years, Junior School, Middle School, and Senior School) of our PK-12 school.
Most of their work will be focused in one of those divisions/age groups, based on their particular blend of skills, experience and qualifications. Counsellors with experience working across the 3-18 age range are encouraged to apply.
The appointee will provide one-to-one and small group counselling for students, and support their social and emotional well-being and the development of executive functioning skills critical to academic success.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Including but not limited to the following:
- Provide individual, group and some family counselling, including crisis intervention
- Plan collaboratively with students, their families, teachers, administrators, and community agency personnel to develop effective strategies to promote the educational, social, emotional and career development of students
- Provide a continuum of preventive, developmental, remedial and intervention services and programs within the school environment
- Provide in-service training and support to colleagues in the area of youth mental health and child abuse prevention
- Prepare and/or assist with reports to the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD)
- Advance students’ educational achievement through executive functioning skill development and goal setting, assisting with the development of students’ learning plans as well as activities that promote effective work and study habits
- Present instructional/informational programs to groups of students, parents and teachers.
- Adhere to the ethical standards of the counselling profession and practice in accordance with federal, provincial, and local laws, statutes, and/or policies that relate to students and families, including child protection/child abuse, special education, attendance, education rights and privacy
- Use appropriate assessment and diagnostic procedures for determining and structuring individual and group counselling services
- Must be a Canadian resident and legally entitled to work in Canada
- Master’s degree in school counselling and/or counselling psychology.
- Minimum 5 years of Counselling experience in an educational setting and experience working with children and young adults.
Preferred Experience and Qualities:
- Experience counselling in a school-based setting
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong organisational, communication, administrative and interpersonal skills
- Successful experience working in a diverse, multicultural environment
- Demonstrated experience in facilitation of large group instructional and/or informational sessions
All Mulgrave staff members are expected to:
- Develop an environment that builds positive relationships and fosters an ethic of care
- Identify and select appropriate resources and methods to meet students’ varying needs
- Use relevant technology effectively
- Maintain accurate and complete records
- Participate in faculty and parent meetings and special events
- Model respectful and timely communication with students, colleagues and parents
- Attend professional development workshops as required by the school
- Endorse the school’s mission and values
Please visit our website at www.mulgrave.com for further information about our School and detailed job description.
Resumes should be submitted through https://mulgrave.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/ by March 7, 2021. Given the location of the school, applicants must provide their own transportation.
We thank all interested parties. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit mulgrave.bamboohr.com.