Posting # 2023019
Posting date: April 27, 2023
Closing Date: May 4, 2023
Hours – 1.0 FTE
Commensurate with placement on the SMS Salary Grid, based on years of teaching experience & education (TQS Category).
This is a bargaining unit position in the Professional Employees Association.
St. Margaret’s School (SMS) is Western Canada’s only girl-centered, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada on the unceded traditional territories of the Esquimalt Nations, Songhees Nations, and W̱SÁNEĆ Nations. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girl-centered learning and leadership development, providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7–12). St. Margaret’s School is an International Baccalaureate (IB) candidate school.
This position will be responsible for managing the school library and providing a library program for our students in JK to Grade 12 in liaison with teachers. This position includes a teaching assignment of up to 0.35 FTE. senior level English and supporting the IB Diploma Programme. The individual in this role works in close liaison with the IB Diploma Programme Coordinator and the Directors of the Junior and Senior School to ensure alignment with instructional practices that connect teaching and learning to meet Ministry requirements and to support the stated goals in the SMS Strategic Plan.
The Teacher-Librarian will oversee the strategic and day-to-day management of the school library, lead in its development and promotion, and collaborate with teachers in order to cultivate a love for literacy and enhance the quality of the learning experience of the students.
At St. Margaret’s School, teachers are required to participate in the extra-curricular life of the school.
• Integrity & Trust
• Service Orientation
• Professional Knowledge
• Communication & Collaboration
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide the leadership and professional services necessary to ensure that the school library program is aligned with the mission, goals, and objectives of SMS and to achieve the effective development of the BC curricula and IB Diploma Program.
• Manage and oversee library services including operation, policies and procedures, resources, and facilities.
• Manage the planning, administrative, and budgetary functions of the library.
• Promote the school’s academic integrity policy and the ethical use of information.
• Analyze and evaluate library and information services, technology, and media service requirements.
• Oversee the development and maintenance of the library collection and develop a process to select and evaluate learning resources.
• Perform cataloging and classification of print, audio-visual, electronic and online resources.
• Maintain inventories, compile statistics, and generate reports as required.
• Remain up to date related to the evolution of current library and information services, technology and media services, resources, and activities.
• Promote the use of the library and implement a program of library and literacy skills tutorials for students.
• Collaborate with teachers to design and implement effective information literacy, academic integrity, and research lessons; and to support inquiry-based classrooms that develop critical thinking skills, knowledge, and a range of Approaches to Learning skills.
• Develop a Learning Commons timetable for curriculum-based skills lessons, guest speakers, etc.
• Supervise volunteers and student library captains, where applicable.
• Promote the Library Learning Commons as a welcoming environment for all students and staff.
• Play a full and active role in all areas of school life, including attending school functions as required.
• Perform other duties and assume accountabilities as required.
Requirements and Qualifications:
• Completion of Bachelor of Education and current BC Teaching Certificate
• Recent experience in the role of Teacher-Librarian, overseeing the daily operational and strategic needs of the school library.
• Experience working in an IB Diploma Programme, for example as an IB SSST site-based coordinator, extended essay teacher or willingness to complete IB training during personal time (IB course costs will be covered by the school).
• Recent experience teaching Senior level English courses.
• Experience in managing library services, ideally in the education sector.
• Experience or familiarity with a Library Management System (such as Follet), preferred.
• Membership of a professional Library organization (e.g., CILIP, ALIA, ALA).
• Recent and ongoing professional development in the areas of current library and information services, technology and media services, resources, and activities.
• Ability to appraise and evaluate library materials to ensure a well-balanced, up-to-date stock which meets the curricular and recreational needs of all readers.
• Familiarity with various teaching resources including, where appropriate, digital tools, and artificial intelligence, to support and enhance teaching and learning.
• Demonstrated experience in curriculum development, including inquiry-based and project-based learning approaches.
• A love of books and a desire to inspire children to read.
• Strong administrative, organizational, and IT skills.
• A good command of written and spoken English.
• Ability to work collaboratively and to build strong relationships with all members of the school community.
• Embrace the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
• Awareness of the unique needs of girl learners.
• Create an environment of trust and respect in the learning commons.
• A willingness and commitment to contribute fully to the life of the pupils and school beyond the academic day, including active participation in academic enrichment and co-curricular programmes.
A career with St. Margaret’s School will offer you the opportunity to be part of dedicated team of professionals in a dynamic and rewarding educational environment. This position is located on the school campus, with access to rapid transit, on-site gym, and other amenities.
Interested candidates are invited to submit an application package, including a covering letter, curriculum vitae and professional references, quoting the Posting #2023019 in the subject line of your email, by May 4, 2023, to:
St. Margaret’s School
1080 Lucas Avenue
Victoria, BC V8X 3P7
Email: [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.