Junior School Teacher
Posting Date: August 30, 2023 | Closing Date: September 6, 2023 Posting # 2023058
1.0 FTE projected, dependent on Enrolment. Beginning September 2023
Commensurate with placement on the SMS Salary Grid, based on years of teaching experience & education (TQS Category).
This is a bargaining unit position in the Professional Employees Association.
St. Margaret’s School (SMS) is Western Canada’s only girl-centered, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada on the unceded traditional territories of the Esquimalt Nations, Songhees Nations, and W̱SÁNEĆ Nations. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girl-centered learning and leadership development, providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7–12). St. Margaret’s School is an International Baccalaureate (IB) School offering the Diploma Program.
St Margaret’s School is seeking a self-motivated, energetic, and team-oriented teacher to join our small and vibrant school community. As an inspiring educator, this teacher will have a passion for the Foundation Years, strong instructional skills, and a commitment to improving the school through designing and implementing interdisciplinary projects that connect teaching and learning to the overall mission and vision of the school. Key to this role is a motivation to work in an environment that develops competent, confident, and courageous girls.
At St. Margaret’s School, teachers are required to participate in the extra-curricular life of the school.
Our school’s motto “service with love” embraces both individual pursuits and shared responsibilities. At SMS, teachers are required to participate in the extra-curricular life of the school, thereby educating the whole person and supporting students to develop the full range of their skills, talents, and interests.
Integrity & Trust
Communication & Collaboration
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create, implement, and deliver a motivating and engaging course curriculum to students in the Foundation Years Program.
- Incorporate creativity, variety and inquiry into lesson plans that are relevant to girl’s learning.
- Provide supportive, flexible routines and procedures within a culturally and intellectually inclusive classroom.
- Incorporate differentiation strategies to support a diversity of learning styles.
- Foster the cognitive, social, and emotional growth of the students.
- Collaborate regularly with colleagues to share ideas and plan interdisciplinary units.
- Attend regular meetings and school-required events.
- Assess student learning through ongoing feedback to students and frequent communication with parents, and in written progress reports.
- Attend meetings with parents and colleagues to support the needs of the students.
- Create an inclusive classroom where students feel a sense of belonging.
- Communicate regularly with parents, including weekly newsletter and use of digital portfolio.
Required Education & Experience
- Current and Valid teacher certification through the Teacher Regulation Branch.
- Bachelor of Education degree with Foundation Years.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience working in an inquiry-focused setting and incorporating 21st Century teaching strategies.
- Familiar with a variety of teaching strategies to meet the individual needs of girls.
- Superior communication, organizational and interpersonal skills in working with colleagues and parents.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Willingness to participate in school-wide professional development opportunities and to attend whole school staff meetings.
- Embodies a growth mindset.
- Evidence of continued professional growth.
- Maintains confidentiality and demonstrates integrity.
- Actively support the vision, mission, and values of our school.
- Demonstrate a commitment to sustainability.
- Willingness to learn and grow as an educator.
A career with St. Margaret’s School will offer you the opportunity to be part of dedicated team of professionals in a dynamic and rewarding educational environment. This position is located on the school campus, with access to rapid transit, on-site gym, and other amenities.
Interested candidates are invited to submit an application package, including a covering letter, curriculum vitae and professional references, quoting the Posting #2023058 in the subject line of your email, by September 6, 2023, to:
St. Margaret’s School
1080 Lucas Avenue
Victoria, BC V8X 3P7
Email: [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.