Senior School Physics and General Science Teacher
Full-time (1.0 FTE), permanent position starting August, 2021.
If you are an educator who inspires students, is passionate about holistic learning and is driven to help young people shape their lives, this is a role, a school and a place for you.
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Kindergarten to Grade 12 co-educational day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence. Our faculty members enjoy small classes, modern facilities, and substantial preparation time that creates opportunities to understand their students and to make a real impact in their lives. Faculty salaries and benefits exceed the local public school districts and are supported by an exciting professional development program. As lifelong learners, and with students at the centre, SMUS faculty are capacity builders by nature and inspiring educators by practice.
Our students from all over the world have opportunities in athletics, arts, leadership, service, experiential and outdoor education, and are inspired by an extraordinary faculty that is committed to academic excellence, character growth and preparing students for what lies ahead in life. The school’s mission shapes all its endeavours:
Our school seeks the excellence in all of us, with passion and compassion. We are a community shaped by the pursuit of truth and goodness, providing outstanding preparation for life.
We are seeking a Senior School Physics and General Science teacher starting August, 2021.
The successful candidate will have the following skills, background and interests:
- A Bachelor of Education with a specialization in Physics or Engineering
- A valid British Columbia teaching certificate
- Strong communication skills in a variety of settings
- Extensive knowledge of Physics and its relevance in modern society
- Experience teaching Physics in a senior school setting; Prior experience teaching AP Physics courses is an asset.
- Strong growth mindset and ability to offer and receive feedback in learning; adapting to different learner needs and differentiating instruction
- A demonstrated ability to meaningfully integrate digital skills into classroom activities
- Experience working cross curricularly in the pursuit of STEAM initiatives is desirable
- Evidence of innovative and inspiring teaching practices and assessment
- Experience with a collaborative approach with a team of talented educators
- Experience working in an environment of excellence where a broad spectrum of programs operate simultaneously, demanding a great deal of forward planning and creativity
Responsibilities will include:
- Teaching Physics at the upper levels with the possibility to teach other courses in the sciences
- Working collaboratively within the department on science program initiatives and with curriculum teaching teams
- Consistent and professional communication with students, faculty and parents
- A commitment to teaching for understanding using a standards-based assessment model
- Maintaining effective ongoing assessment of student learning in order to provide clear feedback to students and their parents
- Liaising with teaching faculty, parents and administration as an advocate for students
- Practicing professionalism through ongoing professional development, reflection and continuous improvement
- Contributing to the extra-curricular and boarding life of the school
Relocation assistance may be available.
Please respond with a cover letter and résumé in a single document on or prior to 3 pm on Monday, January 29, 2021.
Jennifer Kayal, Human Resources Administrator
St. Michaels University School
3400 Richmond Road
Victoria, BC V8P 4P5
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted; no phone calls, please. Thank you for your interest in our school.
St. Michaels University School is one of Canada’s leading co-educational, independent day and boarding schools.
Our boarding population is recruited nationally and internationally to form a rich and diverse community. Our students come from over 20 different countries and our school community represents over 40 different ethnic backgrounds. Our graduates attend the top universities in the world, many of them on scholarships. The faculty culture of excellence is supported by healthy professional development resources and a dynamic program of professional growth, which has earned them national and international recognition, including several Prime Minister’s Teaching Awards.
The school pursues academic success in an environment where the character and the self also grow.
For more information about St. Michaels University School, please refer to the rest of our website.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.