Senior School – Grades 9 Through 12
Temporary, Part-Time (between .4 and .6 FTE), starting September 2023
If you are an educator who inspires students, is passionate about holistic learning and is driven to help young people shape their lives, this is a role, a school and a place for you.
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence. Our faculty members enjoy small classes, modern facilities, and substantial preparation time that creates opportunities to understand their students and to make a real impact in their lives. Faculty salaries and benefits exceed the local public school districts and are supported by an exciting professional development program. As lifelong learners, and with students at the centre, SMUS faculty are capacity builders by nature and inspiring educators by practice.
Our students from all over the world have opportunities in academics, athletics, arts, leadership, service, experiential and outdoor education, and are inspired by an extraordinary faculty that is committed to academic excellence, character growth and preparing students for what lies ahead in life. The school’s Mission shapes all of these endeavours: Our school seeks the excellence in all of us, with passion and compassion. We are a community shaped by the pursuit of truth and goodness, providing outstanding preparation for life. At St. Michaels University School, we seek to employ and empower individuals who wish to forge impactful relationships and careers that place our students at the centre. We firmly believe that expanding our diversity while adjusting our practice will lead to becoming the community we envision – a place where staff and students share a sense that they fully belong.
The School is seeking a passionate and energetic Mathematics teacher who will complement a strong Mathematics department. The successful candidate will be interested in being part of a collaborative group of Mathematics teachers and provide our students with an inspirational, educational experience in the learning environment. The teaching assignment for this position will include teaching Mathematics at a Grade 9 to 12 level, pastoral care of a homeroom, and a contribution to the Senior School co-curricular program.
The successful candidate will have the following skills, background and interest:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree, preferably with a specialization in mathematics.
- Eligible for, or holder of a current BC teaching certificate.
- Familiarity with the BC Curriculum and Independent School experience is an asset.
- Experience teaching mathematics in a Senior School setting.
- Experience with AP mathematics will be considered an asset.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with cross curricular planning and assessment.
- Experience using Google Classroom and other technology to support learning.
- An understanding of current differentiation strategies and commitment to the needs of all learners.
- Growth mindset and ability to offer and receive professional feedback.
- Evidence of innovative and inspiring teaching practices and assessment.
- Evidence and commitment to a collaborative approach with a team of talented educators.
- Experience working in an environment of excellence where a broad spectrum of programs operate simultaneously, demanding a great deal of forward planning and creativity.
- Commitment to pastoral care and to delivering high quality education through a holistic lens.
- Direct instruction of mathematics curriculum both inside and outside of the classroom in extra help sessions.
- A commitment to personal engagement, professionalism, collegiality, and academic rigor.
- Serving as a Homeroom Advisor for a group of students.
- Working collaboratively with multiple departments on curriculum, instruction and assessment.
- Consistent and professional communication with students, faculty and parents.
- A commitment to teaching for understanding through the development of core and curricular competencies using a standards-based approach.
- Maintaining effective ongoing assessment of student learning in order to provide clear feedback to students and their parents.
- Liaising with teaching faculty, parents and administration as an advocate for students.
- Practicing lifelong learning through ongoing professional development, reflection and continuous improvement in mathematics, in particular.
- Contributing to the extra-curricular and boarding life of the school.
Criminal Record Check:
Must pass and maintain a clear Solicitor General criminal record check for the purpose of working with children.
Please respond with a cover letter and resume in a single document by 2pm Thursday, May 18, 2023.
To apply for this job please visit careers.risepeople.com.