IB Chemistry and Biology Teacher
Temporary – immediately – end June 2024
Posting Date: September 7, 2023 | Closing Date: September 24, 2023
Posting # 2023061
0.39 FTE projected, dependent on Enrolment
Monday afternoon, Wednesday & Friday mornings
Commensurate with placement on the SMS Salary Grid, based on years of teaching experience & education (TQS Category).
This is a bargaining unit position in the Professional Employees Association.
St. Margaret’s School (SMS) is Western Canada’s only girl-centered, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada on the unceded traditional territories of the Esquimalt Nations, Songhees Nations, and W̱SÁNEĆ Nations. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girl-centered learning and leadership development, providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding Grades 7–12). St. Margaret’s School is an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme school.
St. Margaret’s School is looking for a Chemistry and Biology teacher to instruct the IB Diploma Programme SL and HL courses and who will plan, implement, and deliver the course curriculum to students currently in Grade 11. The school is seeking an individual who either currently holds certification to teach IB Chemistry and IB Biology, or willing to participate in the relevant IB training courses as a part of this role. As a girl-centred day and boarding school, the IB Chemistry and Biology teacher should understand the unique needs of our students, as well as the importance of inclusion and global mindedness.
The candidate is expected to be an expert in their subject area, passionate about teaching and learning and keen to work in a collaborative, team environment. This individual must demonstrate excellence in curriculum delivery and be experienced with project-based and inquiry-based learning. In addition, they must demonstrate a proven facility in creating a positive learning environment that accommodates a diversity of learning styles, abilities and interests while also ensuring excellence – in effort, participation, and skill/content knowledge. The individual in this role reports to the Director of Senior School, Academic Programs & Innovation, and works in close partnership with the STEM-X team, the Director of Sustainability & Learning, and the Director of Curriculum & Belonging to ensure alignment with instructional practices that connect teaching and learning to meet Ministry requirements and to support the stated goals in the SMS Strategic Plan.
Our school’s motto “service with love” embraces both individual pursuits and shared responsibilities. At SMS, teachers are required to participate in the extra-curricular life of the school, thereby educating the whole person and supporting students to develop the full range of their skills, talents, and interests.
- Integrity & Trust
- Service Orientation
- Professional Knowledge
- Communication & Collaboration
Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning, implementing, and delivering the IB Chemistry and Biology course curriculum to students currently in Grade 11.
- Employing a variety of content-based and content-oriented teaching techniques from more teacher-directed strategies such as direct instruction to approaches rooted in inquiry and involving investigations, discussion, problem solving, and research.
- Using questioning to stimulate thinking.
- Providing many and varied opportunities for students to instill competence and confidence.
- Collaborating in the work of the department on curricular development, pedagogy, and assessment.
- Regular collaboration with colleagues to share ideas and plan cross-grade activities.
- Providing academic support for students outside of class time.
- Attending regular staff meetings and school-required meetings and events.
- Preparing both formal written reports for students, and regularly communicating with parents.
- Active participation in the full life of the school and community, including attending school functions, and all events related to reporting and assessment.
- Available to attend meetings with parents and colleagues to support the needs of the students in the class.
- Play a full and active role in all areas of school life, including attending school functions as required.
- Perform other duties and assume accountabilities as required.
Required Education & Experience
- Current and Valid Teacher certification through the BC Teacher Regulation Branch.
- Bachelor’s degree in Science – a major in Chemistry required, with additional education and training in Biology.
- Master’s degree in progress or completed in a related field is an asset.
- Experience teaching Mathematics and other STEM-related subjects is an asset.
- Experience teaching ELL learners at the secondary level or in a college setting.
- Familiarity and experience within an IB Diploma Programme setting an asset.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Familiarity working in an inquiry-focused setting and incorporating 21st Century teaching strategies.
- Strong assessment practices that reflect multiple ways of learning.
- Demonstrated use of technology to enhance the teaching and learning experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion, and an understanding of how girls learn best.
- Have a passion for helping students explore the physical sciences and contextualizing scientific theories through hands-on learning activities that have real world applications.
- Familiar with a variety of teaching strategies to meet the individual needs of girls.
- Actively supporting the vision, mission, and values of St. Margaret’s School.
- Embrace the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- Superior communication, organizational and interpersonal skills in working with colleagues and parents.
- Ability to work harmoniously and collaboratively as part of a team, engaging in dialogue about instructional practices with peers.
- Willingness and commitment to contribute fully to the student experience and life of the school beyond the academic day, including active participation in academic enrichment and extra-curricular programmes.
A career with St. Margaret’s School will offer you the opportunity to be part of dedicated team of professionals in a dynamic and rewarding educational environment. This position is located on the school campus, with access to rapid transit, on-site gym, and other amenities.
Interested candidates are invited to submit an application package, including a covering letter, curriculum vitae and professional references, quoting the Posting #2023061 in the subject line of your email, by September 24, 2023, to:
St. Margaret’s School
1080 Lucas Avenue
Victoria, BC V8X 3P7
Email: [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.