French Teacher – Grades 8 to 12
** Possible on-campus accommodation available!
.82 FTE, pending enrolment.
Commensurate with placement on the SMS Salary Grid, based on years of teaching experience & education (TQS Category).
This is a bargaining unit position in the Professional Employees Association.
St. Margaret’s School (SMS) is Western Canada’s only all-girls, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada on the traditional territories of the Lekwungen and Wsikem peoples. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girls’ learning and leadership development, providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7–12).
St. Margaret’s School is seeking a self-motivated, dynamic, and team-oriented Middle and Senior Years French Language Teacher to create, implement and deliver the course curriculum to students from Grade 8 to 12.
Candidates should have demonstrated excellence in curriculum delivery in French and familiarity with adaptive teaching strategies to accommodate a variety of student learning styles. An additional teaching strength is to create innovative, student-centered, inquiry-focused units of study to multiple levels of student ability that incorporate all areas of global language learning. Fluency in both oral and written French is essential. A mindset for team teaching and interdisciplinary learning is a requirement for this position.
At St. Margaret’s School, teachers are required to participate in the extra-curricular life of the school.
Job Duties include:
- Create, implement and deliver the French curriculum to students in Grades 8 to 12.
- Attending regular monthly staff meetings and school-required events.
- Preparation of student reports is required, both formal written reports and regular, informal communication with parents.
- Presence at school functions is required, including Meet the Teacher Evening and Parent-Teacher Interviews.
- Available to attend meetings with parents and colleagues to support the needs of the students in the class.
- Regular collaboration with colleagues to ensure alignment and fluidity of French language learning across grades to create interdisciplinary units, to share ideas and to plan cross-grade / cross-subject activities.
- Work with the team of teachers and Principals to ensure programs are tailored to meet the unique needs, interests, and ambitions of SMS girls.
- Set an inspiring, supportive learning environment to encourage every student in reaching her potential.
- Flexibility to deliver other elective courses as needed.
Requirements and Qualifications include:
- Current and Valid teacher certification through the Teacher Regulation Branch.
- Undergraduate degree, specializing in French, or a combination of course work.
- IB Training an asset and AIM language training an asset.
- Several years’ current school experience as a Senior School French specialist.
- Proficiency and fluency in spoken and written French.
- Familiarity working in an inquiry-focused setting and incorporating 21st Century teaching strategies.
- Familiar with a variety of teaching strategies to meet the individual needs of girls.
- Superior communication, organizational and interpersonal skills in working with colleagues and parents.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Willingness to participate in school-wide professional development opportunities and to attend whole school staff meetings.
- Actively support and commit to the vision, mission, and values of our school.
A career with St. Margaret’s School will offer you the opportunity to be part of dedicated team of professionals in a dynamic and rewarding educational environment. This temporary position is located on the school campus, with access to rapid transit, on-site gym, and other amenities.
Interested candidates are invited to submit an application package, including a covering letter, curriculum vitae and professional references, quoting the Posting #2022069 in the subject line of your email, by September 11, 2022, to:
St. Margaret’s School
1080 Lucas Avenue
Victoria, BC V8X 3P7
Email: [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.