Senior School – Grades 9 to 12
Permanent, Full-Time (1.0 FTE), Starting September 2023
If you are an educator who inspires students, is passionate about holistic learning and is driven to help young people shape their lives, this is a role, a school and a place for you.
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence. Our faculty members enjoy small classes, modern facilities, and substantial preparation time that creates opportunities to understand their students and to make a real impact in their lives. Faculty salaries and benefits exceed the local public school districts and are supported by an exciting professional development program. As lifelong learners, and with students at the centre, SMUS faculty are capacity builders by nature and inspiring educators by practice.
Our students from all over the world have opportunities in academics, athletics, arts, leadership, service, experiential and outdoor education, and are inspired by an extraordinary faculty that is committed to academic excellence, character growth and preparing students for what lies ahead in life. The school’s Mission shapes all of these endeavours: Our school seeks the excellence in all of us, with passion and compassion. We are a community shaped by the pursuit of truth and goodness, providing outstanding preparation for life. At St. Michaels University School, we seek to employ and empower individuals who wish to forge impactful relationships and careers that place our students at the centre. We firmly believe that expanding our diversity while adjusting our practice will lead to becoming the community we envision – a place where staff and students share a sense that they fully belong.
The Senior School English Department is seeking a dynamic Senior School English teacher who brings a passion for literature, composition and creative writing. As well as a passion for teaching, the successful candidate will provide our students with an inspirational, educational experience in the learning environment. The teaching assignment for this position will include a mix of senior-level English courses.
The successful candidate will have the following skills, background and interest:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree with a specialization in English Language Arts and/or Literature and Creative Writing.
- Eligible for, or holder of a current BC teaching certificate.
- Familiarity with the BC Curriculum and Independent School experience is an asset.
- Experience teaching English in a secondary or post-secondary setting.
- Experience teaching English Language Learners is an asset.
- Experience teaching Advanced Placement English Language or Literature courses is an asset.
- Strong communication skills across a variety of settings.
- Experience with cross-curricular planning and assessment.
- Experience using Google Classroom and other technology to support learning.
- Growth mindset and ability to offer and receive professional feedback.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to different learner needs and differentiate instruction and to meaningfully integrate digital skills into classroom activities.
- Evidence of innovative and inspiring teaching practices and assessment.
- Evidence and commitment to a collaborative approach with a team of talented educators.
- Experience working in an environment of excellence where a broad spectrum of programs operate simultaneously, demanding a great deal of forward planning and creativity.
- Commitment to pastoral care and to delivering high-quality education through a holistic lens.
- Teaching English courses at the junior (Grades 9/10) and/or senior level (Grades 11/12).
- Supporting English Language Learners in further developing their language acquisition skills.
- Serving as a Homeroom Advisor for a group of students.
- Working collaboratively across departments on curriculum, instruction and assessment.
- Consistent and professional communication with students, faculty and parents.
- A commitment to teaching for understanding using a standards-based assessment model.
- Maintaining effective ongoing assessment of student learning in order to provide clear feedback to students and their parents.
- Liaising with teaching faculty, parents, and administration as an advocate for students.
- Practicing professionalism through ongoing professional development, reflection, and continuous improvement.
- Working collaboratively as part of our pastoral care program in maintaining a positive homeroom environment.
- Contributing to the extra-curricular and boarding life of the school.
Criminal Record Check:
Must pass and maintain a clear Solicitor General criminal record check for the purpose of working with children.
Please respond with a cover letter and resume in a single document by 2pm Tuesday, March 14, 2023.
To apply for this job please visit careers.risepeople.com.