Permanent, Full-Time (1.0 FTE)
Flexible start date between May to August, 2021
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Kindergarten to Grade 12 co-educational day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence.
Our students from over 30 countries all over the world have opportunities in athletics, arts, leadership, service and outdoor education, and are inspired by an extraordinary staff committed to character growth and preparing students for what lies ahead in life. The school’s Mission shapes these endeavours: Our school seeks the excellence in all of us, with passion and compassion. We are a community shaped by the pursuit of truth and goodness, providing outstanding preparation for life.
Reporting to the Manager of Ancillary Services, this position is responsible for oversight and coordination of safe student transportation, vehicle maintenance for our fleet and coordinating trips for external clients. Our fleet consists of 10 buses, 2 12 passenger vans and 2 luggage trucks. The Transportation Manager schedules and plans all regular bus routes and special trips, manages hiring of bus drivers, training transportation staff and other related duties. The Transportation Department provides these services for Glenlyon Norfolk School and St. Michaels University School.
Key Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Scheduling and planning of all bus routes and trips, for internal and external clients
- Hiring, supervising and training bus drivers
- Communicating positively and effectively with students, parents and staff
- Overseeing the maintenance of all school vehicles within the department, including a preventative maintenance program
- Conduct ongoing student safety program
- Ensuring compliance with Transport Canada regulations and other regulations regarding school transportation
- Preparing monthly financial summaries and reports for billing and tracking bus driver hours by category
- Liaising with colleagues at other schools and school districts
- Consulting with the Finance Department regarding fees for services
- Developing the Operational Budget for the Transportation Department
- Recommending purchase of new buses and other changes to the fleet
- Other duties as required
- Requires a valid BC Class 2 Drivers license with air brake endorsement, appropriate first aid and CPR certificate and clean driver’s abstract (if no air brake endorsement it must be acquired asap)
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years of recent experience in the school bus industry. Supervisory experience preferred
- A general understanding of vehicle maintenance, appropriate laws and regulations, and safety issues as it relates to transporting students
- Excellent communication, analytical, interpersonal, and supervisory skills
- A high level of attention to detail as well as the capacity to be a proactive and analytical problem solver is essential
- Organized with the ability to work under deadlines with conflicting demands from various departments
- Enthusiastic, energetic, a self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
Criminal Record Check:
Must pass and maintain a clear Solicitor General criminal record check for the purpose of working with children.
Please respond to https://www.smus.ca/discover/careers/current with a cover letter and résumé in a single document by 2:00 pm on Friday, May 14, 2021.
To apply for this job please visit www.smus.ca.