Senior School Learning Resource Associate Teacher
Temporary, Full-Time (1.0 FTE) and Temporary Part time (0.50 FTE)
Start date flexible, December, 2022 preferred
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Kindergarten to Grade 12 day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence.
Our students from over 30 countries all over the world have opportunities in academics, athletics, arts, leadership, service and outdoor education, and are inspired by an extraordinary staff committed to character growth and preparing students for what lies ahead in life. The school’s Mission shapes these endeavours: Our school seeks the excellence in all of us, with passion and compassion. We are a community shaped by the pursuit of truth and goodness, providing outstanding preparation for life. At St. Michaels University School, we seek to employ and empower individuals who wish to forge impactful relationships and careers that place our students at the centre. We firmly believe that expanding our diversity while adjusting our practice will lead to becoming the community we envision – a place where staff and students share a sense that they fully belong.
As part of our Learning Resource department at the Senior School, the Associate Teacher supports a variety of learners including students with learning disabilities, giftedness, challenges with mental health and executive functioning weaknesses. The support provided is based on the needs identified in Individualized Education Plans (IEP). The Associate Teacher supports students both in the Learning Resource Center, and sometimes in the classroom.
The successful candidate will have the following skills, background and interest:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree, or Education Assistant certificate or equivalent preferred.
- Hold or be eligible for a valid BC Teaching Certificate preferred.
- Experience in the field of Special Education.
- Demonstrated ability in instructing students in a wide variety of learning and social-emotional strategies.
- Strong knowledge of English and Socials, particularly at the Grade 9 and 10 level.
- Experience using assistive technologies (e.g. Google Read and Write, Kurzweil) to support students with accommodations is an asset.
- Experience using technology for day-to-day documentation and communication.
- Effective collaboration, organization, and communication skills as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Comfortable with multi-tasking and managing several competing priorities at one time.
- Supports the pursuit of academic success in an environment where the character and self also grow.
- Collaborates with Learning Resource Advisors and faculty to support student learning plans.
- Works in small groups, both one to one, and in the classroom.
- Ability to be a team player.
- Ability to anticipate problems and take a pro-active approach.
Criminal Record Check:
Must pass and maintain a clear Solicitor General criminal record check for the purpose of working with children.
Please respond with a cover letter and resume in a single document to Learning Resource Associate Teacher by 2pm Tuesday, November 22, 2022. Be sure to indicate whether you are applying for the full-time or part-time position.
To apply for this job please visit careers.risepeople.com.