Senior Camp Leader
External Programs Department
Winter Break Camp: December 18-22, 2023 and January 2-5, 2024
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence. At St. Michaels University School, we seek to employ and empower individuals who wish to forge impactful relationships and careers that place our students at the centre. We firmly believe that expanding our diversity while adjusting our practice will lead to becoming the community we envision – a place where staff and students share a sense that they fully belong.
St. Michaels University School’s External Programs Department offers an array of educational enrichment programs for all students. During holiday periods (winter, spring, summer breaks), the programs provide a learning experience for students aged 5-16 that emphasize skill development, cooperation, participation, and fun.
We are looking for Senior Camp Leaders to work specifically with students 5 to 10 years old. Reporting to the Coordinator – Day Camp and After School Care and Camps Coordinator, the Senior Camp Leader is vital in providing an enriching experience for campers. This role is responsible for creating a safe, positive and engaging camp environment through developmentally appropriate programming. The Senior Camp Leader plans and executes activities as well as providing guidance to other Camp Leaders to communicate with campers effectively.
Senior Camp Leader opportunities will also be available in the spring between March 18 ‑ 28, 2024.
Hours of Work:
Monday – Friday, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
December 12, 2023: required two-hour orientation session.
- Ensure a safe, fun, and engaging environment for all campers.
- Build relationships with campers by showing compassion, empathy and understanding.
- Daily preparation and execution of meaningful and age-appropriate activities including arts and crafts, sports and cooperative games.
Work with Camp Leaders and Camp Assistants to deliver camp programs.
- Provide learning and guidance to campers on appropriate behaviour during play and activities.
- Communicate with team members about the daily activity plan.
Provide feedback to parents and caregivers on their child’s behaviour when necessary.
- Provide exemplary customer service and clear communication with parents and caregivers including camp updates as needed.
The successful candidate will have the following skills, background and interest:
- Experience leading and planning programs for school aged children.
- Previous experience working with SMUS Camps is an asset.
- Experience supervising or leading teams an asset.
- Ability to communicate effectively with parents, campers, and other leaders.
- Ability to be tactful, demonstrate excellent judgment and work as a positive and collaborative team member.
- Valid First Aid certificate.
- Applicants must be a minimum of 19 years of age.
Criminal Record Check:
Must pass and maintain a clear Solicitor General criminal record check for the purpose of working with children.
Please respond with a cover letter and resume in a single document by 2pm Monday, November 20, 2023.
To apply for this job please visit careers.risepeople.com.