Permanent, part-time overnight position starting as soon as possible
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Kindergarten to Grade 12 day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence.
Our students from over 30 countries all over the world have opportunities in academics, athletics, arts, leadership, service and outdoor education, and are inspired by an extraordinary staff committed to character growth and preparing students for what lies ahead in life. The school’s Mission shapes these endeavours: Our school seeks the excellence in all of us, with passion and compassion. We are a community shaped by the pursuit of truth and goodness, providing outstanding preparation for life. At St. Michaels University School, we seek to employ and empower individuals who wish to forge impactful relationships and careers that place our students at the centre. We firmly believe that expanding our diversity while adjusting our practice will lead to becoming the community we envision – a place where staff and students share a sense that they fully belong.
As a Boarding school we provide our students access to medical care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week when school is in session.
The Health Centre is open weekdays from 7:45 am until 10:00 pm. Fridays from 7:45 am until 8:00 pm. Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 am until 6:00 pm. Outside of these hours, on-call nurses are scheduled to support students requiring medical care overnight and to answer phone calls from House Parents for any health-related concerns, and be available to arrive on campus within 20 minutes if needed to assess students on-site.
To support continuity of care for our students, SMUS has created this new, permanent overnight nursing role. Reporting to the Head Nurse, the Overnight Nurse works three or four set nights each week, providing medical care as outlined. This position is required to work weekends, plus one or two other weeknights.
The successful candidate will have the following skills, background and interest:
- Current membership in good standing with the BC College of Nursing Professionals along with a minimum of two years’ experience in a related position
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing or a Licensed Practical Nursing diploma from an accredited post-secondary institution
- Current CPR Level C certification
- Adherence to the BC Standards for Nursing Practice
- Proactive approach to preventative health care
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written, with internal and external customers
- Ability to be tactful, demonstrate excellent judgment and work as a positive and collaborative team member
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, teachers, parents and staff
- Ability to identify and assist students with emotional and other health concerns
- Organized, with the ability to meet deadlines
- Enthusiastic, energetic, a self-starter with the ability to work independently
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Provides health care duties such as first aid treatment for minor ailments and injuries and administering medications
- Use clinical judgement to determine course of care
- May be called upon to attend an injured or sick student
- Refers students to the school counselors when appropriate
- Ability to work with digital medical records
- Ability to be flexible as needs may change, resulting in changing shifts and hours of work
- Available to answer phone calls from house parents for any health-related concerns
- Must be able to arrive on campus within 20 minutes if required
- Available to stay overnight on campus providing care to student(s) if required
Criminal Record Check:
Must pass and maintain a clear Solicitor General criminal record check for the purpose of working with children.
Please respond with a cover letter and resume in a single document to https://careers.risepeople.com/SMUS/en/5458_overnight-nurse by 2pm Wednesday September 21, 2022.
To apply for this job please visit careers.risepeople.com.