Glenlyon Norfolk School (GNS) is an independent day school that is a caring and thriving community. As one of fifteen IB World Continuum schools in Canada offering three International Baccalaureate programs, GNS is proud of its unique ‘IB Advantage’: a 21st-Century education which educates the whole child and creates global thinkers.
We are a community minded team at GNS with a big heart and strong work ethic. We are looking for like-minded individuals who will share in our passion for preparing outstanding citizens of character who will contribute to the world through their leadership, a commitment to service, and an understanding that we are all responsible for the future of our communities. We are currently seeking exceptional candidates for the following opportunity:
Lab Technician/Teaching Aide
Regular, Part-time (25-30hrs/wk)
Work Term: Sept – June
The Lab Technician is responsible for managing the science prep room and supporting the sciences teachers with their daily laboratory preparations and tasks, as well as supporting students with independent science research. This position provides exceptional support to the Head of Department, teachers, and students in a manner that reflects the GNS values of truth, courage, caring, individuality and community. Demonstrating initiative and pride in performance, the successful candidate will contribute positively to a respectful and productive learning environment.
- Monitor the science area for hazardous conditions, unsafe practices, and other safety concerns
- Ensure compliance with WHMIS regulations with regards to labelling, handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous materials.
- Organize and implement chemical and biological waste pick-up, in conjunction with HOD.
- Perform monthly safety checks of all science rooms (equipment and chemical storage; safety features such as fume hoods, showers, eye wash stations, etc.); and report on the proper functioning of all equipment to the HOD and Plant Manager.
- Work directly with students to supervise internal assessment labs, Group IV project and other labs (such as personal project, extended essay, and science fair), as needed.
- Assist with lab activities as directed by science teachers and in some cases, lead those labs with students.
- Research and test demonstrations, experiments, and new products.
- Prepare and clean up lab activities, as directed by science teachers.
- Manage and maintain chemical inventory and ensure that GHS protocol is followed for storage of supplies, chemicals and samples.
- Manage and maintain lab equipment and organize repairs as necessary.
- Ensure correct storage and maintenance of data logging equipment.
- Assist with ordering of supplies, in conjunction with HOD.
- Maintain chemical waste and treat as necessary.
- Liaise with external suppliers as required, in conjunction with the HOD.
- Other general lab duties as necessary.
- A minimum of Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Two years experience working in a chemistry laboratory setting
- Experience with mentoring students in a lab setting
- Exceptional interpersonal skills in dealing with staff, students and teachers
- Experience handling, storing and disposing of chemicals and making solutions
- WHMIS Certification or equivalent
- Proficiency in the Google platform (GAFE) and MS Word and Excel
- Ability to work independently
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
Glenlyon Norfolk School offers a comprehensive total compensation package and the opportunity to work with an exceptional community of professionals. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter indicating personal strengths and accomplishments by using the following link: https://easyapply.co/job/lab-technician-teaching-aide?rcid=isabc
Application deadline: Monday, February 22, 2021
Please note this position will remain open until filled. As long as this posting is active on our website, we will continue to accept applications. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Glenlyon Norfolk School will only use and retain personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
To apply for this job please visit easyapply.co.