Full-time position, when school is in session, starting May 1, 2021
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Kindergarten to Grade 12 co-educational day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence.
Our students from over 30 countries all over the world have opportunities in athletics, arts, leadership, service and outdoor education, and are inspired by an extraordinary staff committed to character growth and preparing students for what lies ahead in life. The school’s Mission shapes these endeavours: Our school seeks the excellence in all of us, with passion and compassion. We are a community shaped by the pursuit of truth and goodness, providing outstanding preparation for life.
Reporting to the Director of Boarding and Student Life, the Head Nurse manages the day to day operation of the Health Centre and attends to the clinical care of our boarding community. This position will ensure high standards of clinical care, which includes maintaining Policy and Procedures manuals, hiring, training and supervising nursing and support staff and maintaining clinical hours to support the health needs of our 250 student Boarding Community. This is a 10‑month position operating when school is in session; however, there will be some hours required during school breaks, at the beginning of the summer break and in the weeks before school commences.
Key Responsibilities and Expectations:
· Assess students’ health concerns in order to determine the appropriate treatment and/or consultation required.
· Order diagnostic and screening tests.
· Refer students to other healthcare professionals, as appropriate.
· Working with the Health Authority, assist with the immunization program.
· Maintain medical records accurately and confidentially.
· Adhere to school policies with respect to reporting of accidents or injuries.
· Administer medication and maintain records of medication administered.
· Development and maintain Health Centre Policy and Procedures manual to current federal and provincial legislation.
· Manage the operating budget for the Health Centre.
· Assess and manage performance and train Health Centre nursing and other staff. Ensure required certifications are maintained by all staff.
· Create and maintain the staff schedule of the Health Centre, ensuring appropriate level of on-call nursing staff.
· Act as key medical professional advisor to the school to ensure our standards are maintained to reflect changes to health-related legislation.
· While working with Boarding staff, school counselors and other medical professions, always maintain the privacy of student information.
· Provide education and training to students and Boarding Staff regularly, at least annually.
· This position requires a post-secondary degree or diploma in Nursing.
· Current certification/licensing with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
· Five years of nursing experience preferably in an environment working with youth.
· A sensitive and empathic approach to communicating with students, family members and Boarding staff.
· Has a high level of attention to detail as well as the capacity to be a proactive and analytical problem solver.
· Exceptional communication, interpersonal, negotiation and mediation skills.
· Organized with the ability to work under deadlines with conflicting demands from various departments.
· Enthusiastic, energetic, a self-starter with the ability to work independently Ability to be tactful, demonstrate excellent judgment, and work as a positive and collaborative team member.
· Commitment to maintaining highest of professional standards through education and a commitment to maintaining policies and procedures at current best practices.
· Experience with medical records software such as Juno.
Hours of Work:
The Health Centre operates seven days a week therefore some weekend, evening and on-call hours will be required.
Criminal Record Check:
Must pass and maintain a clear Solicitor General criminal record check for the purpose of working with children.
Please respond with a cover letter and résumé to https://www.smus.ca/discover/careers/current by 2:00 pm on Friday, April 9, 2021.
To apply for this job please visit www.smus.ca.