English Language Learner Instructor
External Programs Department
Spring Break Camp: March 20-29, 2023
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence. At St. Michaels University School, we seek to employ and empower individuals who wish to forge impactful relationships and careers that place our students at the centre. We firmly believe that expanding our diversity while adjusting our practice will lead to becoming the community we envision – a place where staff and students share a sense that they fully belong.
St. Michaels University School’s External Programs Department offers an array of educational enrichment programs for all students. During holiday periods (winter, spring, summer breaks), the programs provide a learning experience for students aged 6-15 that emphasize skill development, cooperation, participation, and fun.
SMUS Spring Camps deliver customized group school programs to immerse international students aged 12 to 17 in Canadian culture while also improving their English language communication skills. We also have school groups join us in the summer, so there will be additional opportunities for work in the summer months.
Reporting to the Program Coordinator – Customized Groups, the English Language Learner (ELL) Instructor is responsible for planning and delivering lessons and activities for the General English program for students aged 12-17. We are seeking qualified ELL instructors who have classroom experience with students from different cultures, and excellent communication and classroom management skills. The ELL Instructor creates an environment that is respectful, fun, and conducive to learning.
The ELL Instructor will also be required to perform before school and lunch time supervision, complete final reports, and join the Celebration of Learning events. As this position does not require a BC Teaching Certificate, please note that it is compensated on the Administration Grid.
Hours of Work:
March 14, 2023: required orientation session.
Group 1: March 20 – 24, 2023, 6.5 hours per day, plus prep time, Monday to Friday.
Group 2: March 21 – 29, 2023, 6.5 hours per day, plus prep time, Monday to Friday.
The successful candidate will have the following skills, background and interest:
- This position requires a Bachelor’s degree, preferably with Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Certification.
- At least two years of experience working with youth, aged 12-17 from a variety of cultural backgrounds.
- Understanding the particular developmental and emotional needs of adolescents.
- Ability to work cooperatively and develop positive working relationships with international students and colleagues.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- High level of attention to detail.
- Use sound judgement to solve problems or escalate issues as appropriate.
- Organized with the ability to work within deadlines with competing priorities.
- Enthusiastic, energetic, a self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Ability to be collaborative and team oriented.
- Create lesson plans based on themes and objectives of the program.
- Deliver lessons based on ELL teaching methodologies.
- Attend weekly Celebration of Learning events.
- Encourage and engage students to speak in English.
- Maintain excellent classroom management and create a pleasant learning environment.
- Assess students’ progress and provide formative feedback and guidance for improvement.
- Prepare reports for students leaving each week.
- Communicate with the Program Coordinator regarding student issues or concerns.
- Other duties as required.
Criminal Record Check:
Must pass and maintain a clear Solicitor General criminal record check for the purpose of working with children.
Please respond with a cover letter and resume in a single document by 2:00 pm Monday, February 6, 2023.
To apply for this job please visit careers.risepeople.com.