Early Childhood Education Educator- Regular Full Time
Posting # 2023025
Monday-Friday, 37.5 hours per week. Full-year program (12 months) with various holiday closures (totaling 6 weeks). Shifts vary based on need.
Beginning August 24, 2023
Starting Wage $26.48/hour Range of $26.48 – $29.27 per hour, depending on years of service at SMS.
This is a bargaining unit position in the Professional Employees Association.
St. Margaret’s School (SMS) is Western Canada’s only girl-centered, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada on the unceded traditional territories of the Esquimalt Nations, Songhees Nations, and W̱SÁNEĆ Nations. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girl-centered learning and leadership development, providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7–12). St. Margaret’s School is an International Baccalaureate (IB) candidate school.
The Junior Kindergarten (JK) teacher is a certified Early Childhood Educator (ECE) who embraces inquiry-based learning with an emphasis on developing caring, creative, and curious learners through play and the exploration of the natural environment. By providing safe, joyful, and nurturing spaces, the JK teacher creates an inspiring environment for young girls and facilitates the development of their intellectual, physical, and emotional growth.
- Integrity & Trust
- Service Orientation
- Professional Knowledge
- Communication & Collaboration
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with other teachers to design and implement the core curriculum which includes inquiry-based play and Montessori-inspired elements;
- Ensure the highest quality of teaching and learning, student progress, and attainment;
- Plan and maintain spaces that protect the health, security and well-being of children;
- Contribute towards a well-organized and inspiring environment for young learners;
- Create learning experiences in areas of motor, language, social, cognitive, and creative arts through specific activities such as: reading or telling stories, teaching songs, creative arts and crafts, dramatic play, playing music, dance and physical fitness, taking the children to local points of interest;
- Interact with children in small group, large group, and one-to-one settings by directing activities, guiding free play, and assisting children in self-help skills;
- Being a role model in patience, care, questioning, solving problems and having a love for learning;
- Guide and assist children in the development of proper eating, dressing, and toilet habits;
- Guide and assist children in peaceful resolution of conflicts; building social/emotional and character strengths;
- Develop strong parent partnerships to effectively meet student and parent needs;
- Share photos and communications with parents, highlighting the children’s daily activities;
- Perform other duties as necessary to contribute towards an outstanding JK program and all-girl’s school.
Education & Experience
- Valid B.C. certification as an Early Childhood Educator (ECE) in good standing
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience teaching in a Preschool or Junior Kindergarten classroom
- Experience in a nature school setting, an asset
- STEM, Montessori & IB PYP experience, an asset
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrate effective and positive communication skills and interpersonal skills in working with colleagues and parents;
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of an energetic and dedicated team, contributing to an exemplary work environment;
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills, open-mindedness and personal initiative to ensure a high-quality program;
A career with St. Margaret’s School will offer you the opportunity to be part of dedicated team of professionals in a dynamic and rewarding educational environment. This position is located on the school campus, with access to rapid transit, on-site gym, and other amenities.
Interested candidates are invited to submit an application package, including a covering letter, resume, and professional references, quoting the Posting #2023025 in the subject line of your email, by June 2, 2023 to:
St. Margaret’s School
1080 Lucas Avenue
Victoria, BC V8X 3P7
Email: [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.