External Programs Department
Winter Break Camp: December 18-22, 2023 and January 2-5, 2024
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence. At St. Michaels University School, we seek to employ and empower individuals who wish to forge impactful relationships and careers that place our students at the centre. We firmly believe that expanding our diversity while adjusting our practice will lead to becoming the community we envision – a place where staff and students share a sense that they fully belong.
St. Michaels University School’s External Programs Department offers an array of educational enrichment programs for all students. During holiday periods (winter, spring, summer breaks), the programs provide a learning experience for students aged 5-16 that emphasize skill development, cooperation, participation, and fun.
We are looking for Camp Leaders to work specifically with students 5 to 10 years old. Reporting to the Coordinator – Day Camp, and taking direction from the Senior Camp Leaders, the Camp Leader will come with a love of children aged 5 to 10 years and engage camp participants with energy and enthusiasm. The Camp Leader will focus on role modeling and relationship building within the camp and will support and mentor Camp Assistants.
Camp Leader opportunities will also be available in the spring between March 18 ‑ 29, 2024.
Hours of Work:
Monday – Friday, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. Flexible shifts full or part days.
December 12, 2023: required two-hour orientation session.
- Ensure a safe, fun, and stimulating environment for all campers.
Assist Senior Camp Leaders with daily camp preparation and execution of planned activities.
- Assist with set up and cleanup of spaces.
- Provide learning and guidance to campers on appropriate behaviour during play and activities.
- Work collaboratively with other Senior Camp Leaders and Camp Assistants.
- Build relationships with campers by showing compassion, empathy and understanding.
- Being the secondary point of contact after Senior Camp Leaders for any parent/caregiver interactions.
- Provide good customer service and clear communication with parents and caregivers.
The successful candidate will have the following skills, background and interest:
- Experience mentoring or supervising children.
- Ability to communicate effectively with parents, campers, and other leaders.
- Ability to be tactful, demonstrate excellent judgment and work as a positive and collaborative team member.
- Valid First Aid certificate.
- Applicants must be a minimum of 16 years of age and have completed Grade 10.
Criminal Record Check:
Must pass and maintain a clear Solicitor General criminal record check for the purpose of working with children.
Please respond with a cover letter and resume in a single document by 2pm Monday, November 20, 2023.
To apply for this job please visit careers.risepeople.com.