Boarding House Parent
Posting # 2023022
Posting Date: May 21, 2023 | Closing Date: June 4, 2023
Variety of available shifts, including weekends.
10-month annual schedule
Beginning June 2023
Starting wage of $23.77 per hour. Range of $23.77 – $26.27 per hour, depending on years of service at SMS.
This is a bargaining unit position, in the Professional Employees Association.
St. Margaret’s School (SMS) is Western Canada’s only girl-centered, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada on the unceded traditional territories of the Esquimalt Nations, Songhees Nations, and W̱SÁNEĆ Nations. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girl-centered learning and leadership development, providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7–12). St. Margaret’s School is an International Baccalaureate (IB) candidate school.
St. Margaret’s School is seeking dedicated and caring individuals who are passionate about empowering girls. They will attend to the well-being of our boarding students, providing a supportive, nurturing, and inclusive environment.
Boarding House Parents engage boarding students in activities both academic and personal and ensure individual needs, strengths and talents are developed. They provide support for students and have empathy for the social and emotional issues adolescents may face in a boarding school setting.
Boarding House Parents work closely and collaborates with the Director of Boarding, Health Care Providers, Programs Coordinator, parents, and other boarding staff members to ensure continuity of care and support for students. Each of our boarding houses is home to approximately 30 students, ages 12 to 18. St. Margaret’s Boarding is home to students from many countries.
• Integrity & Trust
• Service Orientation
• Professional Knowledge
• Communication & Collaboration
Duties and Responsibilities
• Ensure overall student needs are met including physical and mental health, social wellbeing, behaviour management, and emotional support
• Supervise evening study prep
• Support the Boarding Curriculum program
• Lead and mentor advisory group for 8-10 students
• Organize and facilitate activities for students both on and off campus
• Communicates effectively with parents, teachers, and counsellors as needed
• Establish expectations for students and carry out disciplinary measures when necessary
• Manage and maintain the boarding house to ensure a safe, secure and clean environment by conducting regular inspections and completing duties necessary to the smooth functioning of the house
• Coordinate safety checks and oversee adherence to regulations in accordance with the School Emergency Procedures
• Maintains professional accountability, responsibility and model appropriate behaviour
• Maintain confidentiality of sensitive issues and materials
• Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
• Any other responsibilities, in a variety of circumstances, as required by the Director of Boarding
Education & Experience
• 3 + years of recent relevant education and/or experience, ideally in Education, Recreation and Health, or youth care settings
• Certificate in education or youth care field; related experience may be considered.
• Current First Aid/CPR certification
• Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion training is preferred
• Mental Health First Aid is preferred
• Fluency in a second language is an asset
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Experience working within a diverse team
• Experience supporting students with diverse backgrounds and identities
• Required to successfully obtain Ministry of Justice criminal record check clearance
• Available to work evening and/or weekend shifts
• Understanding of the developmental stages of adolescent including their health and wellness needs
• Key competencies and EQ in self-awareness, self-management, empathy, innovation, and accountability
• Ability to assess daily operations and make good judgement decisions and recommendations based on the values of the school
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Commitment to dealing effectively with conflict and managing interpersonal relationships in a timely and professional manner
• Comfortable with general computer skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to work independently as well as collaborate in a team environment
• Supporter of academic initiatives and extracurricular activities for students
• Understanding of the importance of diversity in implementing an inclusive living and learning environment
• Unrestricted Class 5 Driver’s License with clean driver’s abstract
• Actively support the vision, mission, and values of our school
A career with St. Margaret’s School will offer you the opportunity to be part of dedicated team of professionals in a dynamic and rewarding educational environment. This position is located on the school campus, with access to rapid transit, on-site gym, and other amenities.
Interested candidates are invited to submit an application package, including a covering letter, resume, and professional references, quoting the Posting #2023022 in the subject line of your email, by June 4, 2023, to:
St. Margaret’s School
1080 Lucas Avenue
Victoria, BC V8X 3P7
Email: [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.