Glenlyon Norfolk School (GNS) is an independent day school that is a caring and thriving community. As one of fifteen IB World Continuum schools in Canada offering three International Baccalaureate programs, GNS is proud of its unique ‘IB Advantage’: a 21st-Century education which develops the whole child and creates global thinkers.
We are a community minded team at GNS with a big heart and a strong work ethic. We are looking for like-minded individuals who will share in our passion for preparing outstanding citizens of character who will contribute to the world through their leadership, a commitment to service, and an understanding that we are all responsible for the future of our communities.
Director of Facilities
The Director of Facilities collaborates with members of the GNS community to plan, develop, and implement an overall strategy for operational management and facility development at GNS in order to meet agreed upon organizational performance plans in the following areas: construction and development, facilities maintenance, management, security and grounds. The successful candidate will be strategically focused in the oversight of these operations but also take a team focused approach to their work, demonstrating a desire and willingness to roll up their sleeves and perform various repair and maintenance duties when necessary.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a strategic plan that encompasses all areas of facility management with an emphasis on sustainability.
- Plan and implement a comprehensive and effective preventative maintenance program and provide forward thinking advice and suggestions on plant and equipment operations.
- Serve as an active partner to other departments and divisions of the School to understand their needs and to ensure stakeholders are informed of operational objectives and achievements.
- Serve as an active member of the Building Committee; setting meeting agendas and assisting with the development and execution of the School’s campus transformation plan.
- In collaboration with the CFO, negotiate contracts and service agreements for third party suppliers or service providers; manage external contractors providing ongoing services.
- Support the Facilities Manager in overseeing the day-to-day activities regarding repairs and maintenance; perform some minor repairs to building, furniture and equipment and assist with event set-ups when necessary.
- Exercise fiscal responsibility in the management of the department budget; provide input and direction to the School’s annual operating and capital budgets and long-term financial planning.
- Oversee the management of building security such as the assignment of keys, fobs and alarm codes for approved personnel.
- Serve as Chair of the Joint Health and Safety Committee ensuring adherence to Occupational Health and Safety requirements as it relates to housekeeping, maintenance and facilities management.
- Ensure School assets are safeguarded by implementing internal controls and monitoring effectiveness thereof.
- Recommend, plan, and coordinate the purchasing, selling, leasing, renting, and disposing of capital assets.
- Recruit, select, train, and manage all building operations and maintenance personnel with support from the Facilities Manager.
- Act as a positive community liaison regarding neighbourhood inquiries.
- Participate and play a critical role in facility rentals management
Education and Experience
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in building and facilities management
- Minimum 5 years of leadership experience
- Experience with project management and/or construction management
- Degree/diploma/certificate in a trade or related field, an asset
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build strong connections with teachers, staff, students and parents.
- Ability to show leadership and work as a team member to foster a supportive and client-focused climate among employees and departments.
- General knowledge and demonstrated application of a trade or trades
- Demonstrated working knowledge of building systems, operations and maintenance practices.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of cleaning equipment and the safe use of cleaning products.
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety procedures and WorkSafe regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated excellence in communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent coaching, team building and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and an unwavering commitment to high work standards.
- Ability to analyze, organize, prioritize and delegate tasks accordingly
- Must have a high degree of professionalism.
- A valid BC driver’s license, Class 4 an asset.
- WHMIS certified
- First Aid Certification, an asset
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and Google Suite
Glenlyon Norfolk School offers a comprehensive compensation package and the opportunity to work with an exceptional community of professionals. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter indicating personal strengths and accomplishments as soon as they are able as interviews will commence promptly. This position will remain open until filled. As long as this posting is active on our website, we will continue to accept applications.
Please apply using the following link: Facilities
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Glenlyon Norfolk School will only use and retain personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
To apply for this job please visit easyapply.co.