Term, Full-Time (1.0 FTE), September 2022 through June 30, 2023
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Kindergarten to Grade 12 day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence.
Our students from over 30 countries all over the world have opportunities in academics, athletics, arts, leadership, service and outdoor education, and are inspired by an extraordinary staff committed to character growth and preparing students for what lies ahead in life. The school’s Mission shapes these endeavours: Our school seeks the excellence in all of us, with passion and compassion. We are a community shaped by the pursuit of truth and goodness, providing outstanding preparation for life. At St. Michaels University School, we seek to employ and empower individuals who wish to forge impactful relationships and careers that place our students at the centre. We firmly believe that expanding our diversity while adjusting our practice will lead to becoming the community we envision – a place where staff and students share a sense that they fully belong.
The Advancement Department is a front-facing, integral part of the School, committed to building relationships with community partners, donors, alumni, volunteers and families. The Advancement Department focuses on community engagement and fundraising.
The School is seeking an Advancement Assistant to complement and support a dynamic and high-functioning Advancement department. Reporting to the Director of Advancement, this role supports the Advancement Department in an administrative capacity, and supports fundraising initiatives and alumni relations programs. The Advancement Assistant strengthens relationships with key stakeholders in support of SMUS’ short- and long-term advancement goals and initiatives, assists in the execution of targeted campaigns to key constituency groups, and ensures the success of SMUS signature events.
To support occasional departmental requirements for events and meetings outside of normal business hours, flexibility regarding hours of work will be required.
The successful candidate will have the following skills, background and interest:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Office Administration, Office Management or related discipline.
- 3-5 years previous experience in administrative support for executive leadership. Experience working in a support of a Board of Directors is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, including the ability to work with discretion in preparing and handling personal financial information of a confidential nature.
- Willing to occasionally be flexible in working hours to include evenings and weekends.
- High level of attention to details and accuracy of work, and ability to anticipate needs of the Advancement team.
- Intermediate-level knowledge of the Microsoft Office product suite.
- Experience working with fundraising databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge, with the ability to update, query, provide reports and issue tax receipts and thank you letters from the database.
- Experience working in fundraising environments, specifically fundraising campaigns (annual and capital); events experience and knowledge of endowment giving and reporting.
- Ability to handle all interactions with diplomacy, confidence and tact.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work, work under time pressures to meet deadlines and handle interruptions and changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and make decisions to determine the appropriate action to take in handling inquiries.
- Ability to type 60 words per minute.
- Ability to work in a respectful and collaborative manner with colleagues and volunteers; previous volunteer support experiences an asset.
- Ability to speak Mandarin is an asset.
- Primary contact person for Advancement department during main office hours.
- Building and maintaining relationships that will sustain the school, as part of the team involved in stewardship and cultivation initiatives with existing and prospective donors.
- Administrative support to Director of Advancement and other members of the Advancement team, as required.
- Managing calendar for Director of Advancement (booking meetings, ensuring all relevant and key school events listed, etc.).
- Travel arrangements for the Advancement Department and the Head of School as needed.
- Setting & booking key constituent meetings for Director of Advancement.
- General support to the Advancement team, and liaison with other school departments, especially Head of School, Admissions, Finance, and Marketing and Communications.
- Provides administrative support for the American Friends of SMUS Foundation, President and Board, including acting as recording secretary.
- Ensuring all Advancement events are planned and executed in a timely manner, and to a high standard.
- Coordinating targeted mail and phone campaigns to annual donors.
- Engaging with parents, alumni, and key stakeholders.
- Using Raiser’s Edge database to support Advancement functions as needed, including tax receipting, reports, constituent records research, and mailing lists.
- Prospect research for identified key constituents in support of all fundraising campaigns.
- Performing general office administrative functions including managing approvals for invoices, petty cash requests, campus store purchases, organizing meetings, producing meeting materials and volunteer training packages, and drafting correspondence.
- Other duties as required.
Criminal Record Check:
Must pass and maintain a clear Solicitor General criminal record check for the purpose of working with children.
Please respond with a cover letter and resume in a single document to https://careers.risepeople.com/SMUS/en/5556_advancement-assistant by 2pm Wednesday, September 21, 2022.
To apply for this job please visit careers.risepeople.com.