Glenlyon Norfolk School (GNS) is an independent day school that is a caring and thriving community. As one of fifteen IB World Continuum schools in Canada offering three International Baccalaureate programs, GNS is proud of its unique ‘IB Advantage’: a 21st-Century education which educates the whole child and creates global thinkers.
We are a strong community minded team at GNS with a big heart and a strong work ethic. We are looking for like-minded individuals who will share in our passion for preparing outstanding citizens of character who will contribute to the world through their leadership, a commitment to service, and an understanding that we are all responsible for the future of our communities.
The Director of Advancement takes ownership of planning, implementing and measuring the success of GNS’s fund development program. Working in collaboration with colleagues in marketing and communications, admissions, and senior leadership, the Director of Advancement will provide leadership to the fund development team (three direct reports) and will personally maintain a portfolio of major gift donor prospects for engagement, solicitation and stewardship. This position provides consultative expertise and will lead and manage the School’s capital campaign efforts.
The Director plays a lead role in creating and nurturing a culture of advancement, development and philanthropy within the school community to support the school’s short and long-term goals. The successful candidate will be an exceptional relationship builder and a positive role model for all members of GNS and the broader community.
- Actively promote and apply the School’s mission, vision and values.
- Lead the school’s capital campaign efforts to support the school’s various development needs and campus transformation projects.
- Oversee the school’s donor prospect pipeline, taking the lead in engagement, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gifts prospects.
- Ensure that objectives, projects and critical paths for the capital campaign are being met through the implementation of best practice with respect to processes, policies and procedures.
- Develop and support the delivery of the annual giving and major gift program with an exemplary donor-centric stewardship program, delivering ongoing communications materials that demonstrate impact and accountability.
- Work in close collaboration with the Director of Enrolment and Director of Marketing & Communications to effectively integrate fundraising and development, alumni relations, marketing and communications, admissions and family boarding.
- Work closely with the Head of School to support the Head’s work in Advancement, and to prepare annual revenue, expense budgets and detailed campaign plans.
- Lead the Advancement team to ensure excellence in the day-to-day operation and to align outcomes to the GNS strategic plan.
- Provide leadership, guidance and support in order to enable a high performing team and assist in their professional growth and development.
- Prepare regular reports and presentations to the Head of School as well as the Society and Foundation Boards.
- Serve as a strategic member to various committees of the School Board, Foundation Board and capital campaigns as required.
- Provide support and coaching to staff and volunteers in maintaining their own portfolios of qualified major gift donors and assist in the preparation for cultivation visits, solicitation calls and stewardship activities.
- Support the Campaign Cabinet in the recruitment, training and orientation of volunteers to support campaign initiatives.
- Oversee and monitor the Advancement operating budget and ensure fiscal responsibility.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
- University degree in Business, Communications, Public Relations or other related discipline; a combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
- CFRE designation or equivalent, an asset.
- Minimum 7 years of experience cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors and growing fundraising programs.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in a leadership role in the nonprofit/charitable sector.
- Previous experience in the planning and execution of a capital campaign, an asset.
- A successful track record of personally cultivating and soliciting major gifts.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Must be results-driven, a self-starter and highly motivated with a leadership and interpersonal style that fosters collaborative and productive relationships with a diverse group of people.
- Exceptional interpersonal, public relations and presentation skills.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to understand and translate information for all audiences.
- Outstanding strategic thinking skills and the ability to build support for the School’s mission and vision.
- Proven track record of achievement and professionalism.
- Proactive and innovative approach to solving problems.
- Collaborative, yet decisive, management style.
- High standards of confidentiality and integrity with staff, parents and other community members.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Flexibility and tolerance for high stress, fast paced environments.
- Understanding of independent school culture.
- Ability to travel both nationally and internationally.
- Willingness to work flexible hours including some nights and weekends as necessary.
Glenlyon Norfolk School offers a comprehensive total compensation package and the opportunity to work with an exceptional community of professionals. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter indicating personal strengths and accomplishments by visiting the following link: https://easyapply.co/job/director-of-advancement-3?rcid=isabc
Application deadline: Friday, March 5, 2021
This position will remain open until filled. As long as this posting is active on our website, we will continue to accept applications. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Glenlyon Norfolk School will only use and retain personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
To apply for this job please visit easyapply.co.