PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION TEACHER
SENIOR SCHOOL – GRADES 9 TO 12
1 Year Term, Full-Time (1.0 FTE), Starting September 2022
If you are an educator who inspires students, is passionate about holistic learning and is driven to help young people shape their lives, this is a role, a school and a place for you.
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Kindergarten to Grade 12 day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence. Our faculty members enjoy small classes, modern facilities, and substantial preparation time that creates opportunities to understand their students and to make a real impact in their lives. Faculty salaries and benefits exceed the local public school districts and are supported by an exciting professional development program. As lifelong learners, and with students at the centre, SMUS faculty are capacity builders by nature and inspiring educators by practice.
Our students from all over the world have opportunities in academics, athletics, arts, leadership, service, experiential and outdoor education, and are inspired by an extraordinary faculty that is committed to academic excellence, character growth and preparing students for what lies ahead in life. The school’s Mission shapes all of these endeavours: Our school seeks the excellence in all of us, with passion and compassion. We are a community shaped by the pursuit of truth and goodness, providing outstanding preparation for life. At St. Michaels University School, we seek to employ and empower individuals who wish to forge impactful relationships and careers that place our students at the centre. We firmly believe that expanding our diversity while adjusting our practice will lead to becoming the community we envision – a place where staff and students share a sense that they fully belong.
The School is seeking a dynamic Physical and Health Education teacher who will complement a strong Physical and Health Education department. As well as a passion for teaching, the successful candidate will provide our students with an inspirational, educational experience in the learning environment. The teaching assignment for this position includes Fitness and Conditioning classes as well as coaching opportunities outside of the timetable, and a mix of senior-level Physical Education courses.
The successful candidate will have the following skills, background and interest:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree, preferably with a specialization in Physical and Health Education.
- Eligible for, or holder of a current BC teaching certificate.
- A strong background in Physical and Health Education.
- Recent experience in teaching Physical and Health Education in a high school setting.
- Evidence of innovative teaching practices and assessment strategies.
- Passion for developing healthy mind and body in students.
- Experience with a collaborative approach in instructional planning.
- The ability to thrive professionally in an environment of excellence where a broad spectrum of programs operate simultaneously.
- Strong communication skills in a variety of settings.
- Teaching a variety of Physical and Health Education classes.
- Serving as a Homeroom Advisor to a group of students who meet regularly for pastoral care and support.
- Serve as a coach in our Athletics program.
- Providing inspirational learning experiences for students where health and fitness are concerned.
- Building your own professional capacity through lifelong learning.
- Working collaboratively within the department on curricular initiatives.
- Consistent and professional communication with students, faculty and parents.
- Liaising with teaching faculty, parents and administration as an advocate for students.
- Contributing to the extra-curricular and boarding life of the School.
Please respond with a cover letter and resume in a single document to https://careers.risepeople.com/SMUS/en/5083_physical-and-health-education-teacher by 2pm Monday, June 27, 2022.
To apply for this job please visit careers.risepeople.com.