JUNIOR SCHOOL ASSOCIATE TEACHER
Permanent, full-time (through the school year), starting September 2022
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Kindergarten to Grade 12 co-educational day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence.
Our students from over 30 countries all over the world have opportunities in athletics, arts, leadership, service and outdoor education, and are inspired by an extraordinary staff committed to character growth and preparing students for what lies ahead in life. The school’s Mission shapes these endeavours: Our school seeks the excellence in all of us, with passion and compassion. We are a community shaped by the pursuit of truth and goodness, providing outstanding preparation for life.
At St. Michaels University School, we seek to employ and empower individuals who wish to forge impactful relationships and careers that place our students at the centre. We firmly believe that expanding our diversity while adjusting our practice will lead to becoming the community we envision – a place where staff and students share a sense that they fully belong.
The Junior School (Kindergarten to Grade 5) is a dynamic and joyful community of learners who create a culture of excellence, think critically and creatively, and are nurtured through supportive relationships in order to reach each child’s potential. Our teaching practice is inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach, project and inquiry-based learning, brain research and the Virtues Project.
We are currently seeking an Associate Teacher to become part of our highly engaged, progressive, and professional team, who will fully embrace the SMUS vision and mission and share our educational philosophy and image of the child. The Associate Teacher is responsible for supporting student learning by assisting classroom teachers with student learning along with curricular and non-curricular needs of the classes. This position also includes supervisory duties at recess and lunch, as well as occasional meetings after school.
Key Responsibilities and Expectations:
· Must be a dynamic, engaging educator
· Ability to collaborate effectively as part of a team and also work independently
· Ability to take direction well
· Sense of humour and love of this age group
· Must have a supportive, nurturing personality
· Ability to work with students one on one, in small groups, and with entire classes as required.
· Ability to document student learning using various tools and methods
· Bachelor of Education degree preferred
· Experience teaching or assistant teaching at the elementary level
· A sound knowledge of early childhood development and pedagogy
· Understanding of and/or experience in teaching with a Reggio-inspired, constructivist approach
· Willingness to support SMUS Mission and the philosophy that drives our school
· Professionalism and excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Criminal Record Check:
Must pass and maintain a clear Solicitor General criminal record check for the purpose of working with children.
Please respond with a cover letter and resume as a single document by 2:00 PM on Friday, May 20, 2022.
To apply for this job please visit careers.risepeople.com.