Glenlyon Norfolk School (GNS) is an independent day school that is a caring and thriving community. As one of fifteen IB World Continuum schools in Canada offering three International Baccalaureate programs, GNS is proud of its unique ‘IB Advantage’: a 21st-Century education which educates the whole child and creates global thinkers.
We are a strong community minded team at GNS with a big heart and a strong work ethic. We are looking for like-minded individuals who will share in our passion for preparing outstanding citizens of character who will contribute to the world through their leadership, a commitment to service, and an understanding that we are all responsible for the future of our communities.
GNS is delighted to prepare for the opening of Gryphon House, an innovative and exciting new opportunity for the school to enrich our student experience as well as our broader community experience. To support this new venture, we are seeking an exceptional candidate to fulfill the following roles:
Start: August 2021
The House Parent is a key member of the Gryphon House team responsible for the social/emotional well being of all boarding students. This role will implement an exceptional program, which includes residential activities, mentoring and tutoring, health and wellness care, supervision, and regular and timely communication with parents/guardians. The House Parent promotes an environment that is safe, inclusive and built on the GNS values of Truth, Courage, Caring, Individuality and Community, enabling all students to perform at their best. The House Parent is required to live on site and will have morning, evening and weekend supervision responsibilities on a rotational basis.
- Under the direction of the House Director, help oversee and implement all aspects of student care and programming.
- Provide a caring and supportive environment and uphold the highest standards for the general welfare, safety, pastoral care and personal development of all Gryphon House students.
- Work with the House Director to coordinate student care and communication with the Health Centre and School Counsellors in order to provide the best possible support to each student.
- Coordinate evening homework sessions and academic support as needed.
- Provide the systems and structure for morning and evening routines, supervise these activities and conduct lock up and lights out procedures.
- Promote healthy relationships between students, monitor behaviour and provide sound and thoughtful counsel as necessary.
- Deal with disciplinary and behavioural issues in a fair, firm and caring manner in collaboration with the House Director.
- Be responsible for a boarding advisory group, which includes providing regular and timely communication to parents about their child’s wellbeing.
- Participate and help coordinate activities for students during weekends, evenings and on school breaks.
- Ensure a healthy routine of life for each student and ensure that standards of cleanliness and personal hygiene are met.
- Address medical, social and personal emergencies as they arise and be available for on-call support when needed.
- Fulfill various duties related to student needs such as uniform, acquiring personal items etc.
- Ensure that all school policies, expectations and rules are understood by students and adhered to in a consistent fashion.
- Ensure that all students are informed and familiar with the School’s safety rules and expectations, and can execute all emergency procedures (i.e. fire, earthquake, lockdown).
- Bring forward concerns about the boarding facility and grounds, as well as food services and laundry to the House Director.
- Other duties as necessary to ensure the safe and efficient operation of Gryphon House.
Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will be warm, authentic, patient and hard working, with a deep understanding of how to help each student reach their full potential. You will be compassionate, uphold the highest professional standards, and will actively demonstrate an unwavering dedication to our mission, vision and values.
- Previous experience working within a boarding or residential program would be considered an asset
- Extensive experience working with youth and a good understanding of the health and wellness needs of young people
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills to establish strong connections with students, parents and colleagues
- Must be highly collegial and a collaborative team player
- Possess a friendly, empathetic and nurturing disposition
- Excellent listening, mediation and collaborative problem solving skills
- Highly reflective and committed to continuous professional growth and improvement
- Superior organizational and time management skills
- Globally minded and naturally inclusive to all people and cultures at GNS
- A desire to participate fully in the culture of our independent school community
- Red Cross Standard First Aid/CPR Level C preferred and/or equivalent
- Mental Health First Aid
- A Class 4 driver’s license required (or ability to obtain)
- Hours of work may vary in conjunction with other school duties and responsibilities, as well as with the operational requirements of Gryphon House.
- Gryphon House has two separate apartments therefore, on-call and supervision duties will be shared by more than one House Parent.
- All live-in staff and spouses must complete a criminal background check with vulnerable screening.
- Vacation periods are to be taken while school is not in session, as defined by the Head/Deputy Head of School and outlined in the School Calendar.
- Accommodation provided as a taxable benefit.
- Morning, evening and weekend meals provided.
Glenlyon Norfolk School offers a comprehensive total compensation package and the opportunity to work with an exceptional community of professionals. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter indicating personal strengths and accomplishments by visiting the following link: https://easyapply.co/job/house-parents?rcid=isabc
Application deadline: Monday, April 12, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Glenlyon Norfolk School will only use and retain personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
To apply for this job please visit easyapply.co.