Glenlyon Norfolk School (GNS) is an independent day school that is a caring and thriving community. As one of fifteen IB World Continuum schools in Canada offering three International Baccalaureate programs, GNS is proud of its unique ‘IB Advantage’: a 21st-Century education which develops the whole child and creates global thinkers.
GNS is excited to share the following opportunity as we seek to hire a responsible, high energy individual to complement our Maintenance team and support our Beach Drive and Pemberton Woods campuses as well as our Gryphon House boarding residence.
Building Maintenance Worker
Hours: Monday-Friday, 12:00pm – 8:30pm
The Building Maintenance Worker is responsible for performing general repairs and preventative maintenance on School facilities, furniture and equipment and for the general upkeep of the Pemberton Woods, Beach Drive and Gryphon House facilities. The successful candidate will be a conscientious and hard working individual with a cheerful and positive disposition who aligns with our core values of Truth, Courage, Caring, Individuality and Community. This is a service oriented role where excellent interpersonal skills will be important to forge great relationships with faculty and staff to support a respectful and productive work environment.
Performs repairs to buildings, furniture and equipment:
- Receives requisitions from Facilities Manager and prioritizes work within scheduled maintenance routines;
- Troubleshoots, diagnoses problem and determines optimal method for conducting the work;
- Maintains supplies, tools and equipment needed for completion of work; notifies Facilities Manager of need for repair or replacement;
- Performs minor electrical work including changing light bulbs, switches and plugs; changing ballasts, replacing fixtures etc.;
- Performs carpentry work including repairing doors, frames, notice boards, cabinets and window frames’;
- Performs minor plumbing work including clearing drains, toilets and sinks, and replacing fixtures;
- Assembles and/or repairs equipment such as desks, easels, P.E. equipment, tables, playground equipment, and televisions;
- Performs regular maintenance of building appearance including painting, drywall repair etc.
- Repairs locks and broken windows; removes graffiti and performs repairs due to vandalism;
- Repairs minor mechanical problems on motors or valves.
- Performs preventative maintenance to the facilities and equipment:
- Maintains thermostats, furnaces, boilers, pumps, batteries, motors, and filters;
- Maintains various fire and safety equipment, as instructed to ensure compliance with fire and safety codes;
- Inspects equipment and facility and performs preventative maintenance and repairs to ensure all is in good condition and functioning properly;
- Ensures emergency preparedness of facility by securing furniture; ensuring emergency equipment and supplies are in place and functional;
- Ensures health and safety regulations and guidelines are followed as it pertains to the facility and equipment.
Performs other related duties:
- Performs opening duties of the school; disarms buildings, turns on lights and heat;
- Performs set up and take down duties; transports furniture, supplies and/or equipment to and from school events;
- Provides general security to the Campus; monitors entry of visitors, students and parents to facility and surrounding area and inquires if assistance is needed;
- Removes garbage from exterior receptacles;
- Clears doorways to remove leaves and debris from all areas on Campus;
- Shovels snow and/or salts walkways and parking lots;
- Waters all outdoor planters, when required;
- Liaises with and provides information to trades contractors working onsite; arranges and oversees work in the absence of the Facilities Manager;
- Provides coverage for the Facilities Manager and Custodial staff, as necessary;
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma, supplemented by courses related to a trade or trades, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Three to five years experience in facilities maintenance, preferably in a school environment or commercial setting
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to establish professional relationships with students, teachers, parents and staff
- Must be a team player and solution oriented with a collaborative working style
- Mechanical aptitude and general knowledge of multiple trades
- Ability to perform physical work and lift/carry heavy objects
- Skilled in the use of common hand and power tools needed for routine maintenance
- Demonstrated ability to operate machinery needed to perform custodial and maintenance tasks
- Excellent attention to detail and a commitment to high work standards
- Ability to prioritize work and manage time effectively
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve with awareness of knowing when to involve others
- Knowledge of electronic HVAC systems, an asset
- Good knowledge of cleaning equipment and the safe use of cleaning products, an asset
- Flexibility and willingness to assist others and pitch in where needed
- First Aid certification an asset
Glenlyon Norfolk School offers a comprehensive compensation package and the opportunity to work with an exceptional community of professionals. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter indicating personal strengths and accomplishments without delay as interviews will commence promptly. This position will remain open until filled. As long as this posting is active on our website, we will continue to accept applications.
Please apply using the following link: https://easyapply.co/job/building-maintenance-worker-2?rcid=isabc
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Glenlyon Norfolk School will only use and retain personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
To apply for this job please visit easyapply.co.