Glenlyon Norfolk School (GNS) is an independent day school that is a caring and thriving community. As one of fifteen IB World Continuum schools in Canada offering three International Baccalaureate programs, GNS is proud of its unique ‘IB Advantage’: a 21st-Century education which encourages the whole child and creates global thinkers.
We are a dedicated community at GNS with a big heart and a strong work ethic. We are looking for like-minded individuals who will share in our passion for preparing outstanding citizens who will contribute to the world through their leadership, commitment to service, and an understanding that we are all responsible for the future of our communities. We are currently seeking exceptional candidates to join our school:
Boarding House Assistant
Part-time: approx. 20-25 hours/week
Wednesday – Sunday
(some evening shifts required)
The House Assistant is a supportive member of the Gryphon House team responsible for student supervision and the overall academic and social/emotional well being of all boarding students. This role assists in the implementation of an exceptional program, which includes residential activities, local weekend excursions and activities, tutoring, health and wellness care and supervision. The House Assistant promotes an environment that is safe, inclusive and built on the GNS values of Truth, Courage, Caring, Individuality and Community, enabling all students to perform at their best.
- Under the direction of the House Director, assist in the implementation of all aspects of student care and programming.
- Assist with the coordination and execution of various activities that support students and residential life.
- Provide a caring and supportive environment and uphold the highest standards for the general welfare, safety, pastoral care and personal development of all Gryphon House students.
- Provide daytime supervision when students are ill and communicate with the Gryphon House team and Health Centre as needed.
- Fulfill various duties related to student needs such as uniform, acquiring personal items and providing transportation to and from appointments and co-curricular activities.
- Support students with various routines, monitor student housekeeping duties and perform various inspections.
- Promote healthy relationships between students, monitor behaviour and inform the House Director of any concerns.
- Participate in various planned activities for students on weekends and during school breaks.
- Bring forward concerns about the boarding facility and grounds, as well as food services and laundry to the House Director.
- Other duties as necessary to ensure the safe and efficient operation of Gryphon House and supporting departments.
- Provide on-call coverage for other Gryphon House team members.
Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will be a self-directed individual who is warm, patient and hard working, with a strong desire to help each student reach their full potential. You will be compassionate, uphold the highest professional standards, and will actively demonstrate a strong alignment with our mission, vision and values. Additional desired qualifications include:
- Previous experience working within a boarding or residential program would be considered an asset.
- Experience working with youth and a good understanding of the health and wellness needs of young people.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills to establish strong connections with students and colleagues.
- Must be highly collegial and a collaborative team player.
- Possess a friendly, empathetic and nurturing disposition.
- Highly reflective and committed to continuous improvement.
- Superior organizational and time management skills.
- Globally minded and naturally inclusive to all people and cultures at GNS.
- Red Cross Standard First Aid/CPR Level C an asset
- Mental Health First Aid an asset
- A Class 5 driver’s license is required (Class 4 would be beneficial)
- Hours of work may vary depending on the operational needs of the school
- Free morning, evening and weekend meals provided (during shifts)
- This is an hourly contract role and the working term is expected to be end of August to June 30th each academic year.
- Working through school breaks and holidays, with the exception of winter break, will be required.
Glenlyon Norfolk School offers competitive wages and the opportunity to work with an exceptional community of professionals. Interested candidates should submit a résumé and cover letter indicating personal strengths and accomplishments by Thursday, October 21, 2021 via the following link: https://easyapply.co/job/boarding-house-assistant-pt?rcid=isabc
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Glenlyon Norfolk School will only use and retain personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
To apply for this job please visit easyapply.co.