Payroll & Benefits Administrator – Regular
Posting Date: November 10, 2023 | Closing Date: November 19, 2023
Posting # 2023079
Monday-Friday, 37.5 hours per week.
Salary range $68,000 – $75,000
This is a non – bargaining unit position
St. Margaret’s School (SMS) is Western Canada’s only girl-centered, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada on the unceded traditional territories of the Esquimalt Nations, Songhees Nations, and W̱SÁNEĆ Nations. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girl-centered learning and leadership development, providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7–12). St. Margaret’s School is an International Baccalaureate (IB) School offering the Diploma Program.
The Payroll and Benefits Administrator is responsible for administering the payroll and benefits for all unionized and non-unionized School staff. This position adheres to federal and provincial legislation, BC Labour Code, WCB, school policies and procedures, and the union collective bargaining agreement where applicable. Duties include the calculation and verification of wages, enrollments, changes and premium administration for benefit plans, pension plan, and maintaining complete and accurate employee files. The Payroll and Benefits Administrator will work courteously to provide excellent customer services to internal employees by responding in a timely manner to any employee queries.
- Integrity & Trust
- Service Orientation
- Professional Knowledge
- Communication & Collaboration
Duties and Responsibilities
· Process bi-weekly payroll for salaried and hourly employees.
· Receives, verifies, and prepares all payroll processing, ensuring they are accurate and in compliance with organizational policies, the collective agreement, and government legislation.
· Input payroll data accurately and ensure it is complete in the payroll system including new hires, terminations, and payroll changes.
· In partnership with HR, maintains the integrity of electronic personnel records in compliance with current legal requirements ensuring confidentiality of information.
· Prepare electronic Record of Employment (ROE) for terminated, shortage of work, and/or leave of absence employees ensuring compliance Employment Standard, and submission to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
· Prepare manual pay request for off-cycle payroll payments, calculating statutory deductions, and updating employee records in payroll system.
· Review and ensure accuracy of approved electronic time sheets. Resolve issues related to the payroll input and providing information to location administrators as requested/required.
· Maintain accurate employee records, including time and attendance, vacation, sick leave, and other types of leave, while ensuring confidentiality and adhering to data privacy regulations.
· Process and track criminal record checks for employees as well as external programs, and volunteers in partnership with Human Resources.
· Reconcile account balances including salary and benefit expense accounts and payable accounts.
· Reconcile and process posting information to the General Ledger.
· In partnership with HR, administer employee group benefits programs, including health and dental plans, pension plans, and other perquisites, and process employee changes accurately and efficiently.
· Manage ongoing benefit invoice reconciliations and ensure benefit premiums are deducted or invoiced from the employees pay in a timely manner.
· Prepare and process annual rate changes to benefits and associated impact to deductions.
· Processes WorkSafeBC quarterly remittances and annual reporting.
· Process EHT remittances and reporting as required.
· Report employee earnings and deductions accurately on T4/T4A issuance.
· Prepare and interpret payroll-related reports for regulatory bodies, management, and other stakeholders, ensuring compliance with payroll and benefits regulations and guidelines.
· Prepare bi-annual seniority reports for the bargaining unit staff.
· Assist with payroll related fiscal year end reports and functions.
· Stay current with best practices, changes in employment law, and ensure compliance with all applicable legislation, acts, policies, and procedures.
· In partnership with HR, receives and responds to payroll enquiries from internal/external stakeholders in a timely manner.
· Other duties, responsibilities and projects as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
· Certificate or Diploma in a related field of Business Administration, Office Administration, Finance, or another related field.
· Payroll Compliance Practitioner Certificate from the Canadian Payroll Association or working towards certification is required.
· Minimum 3 years’ experience processing full cycle Canadian payroll.
· Experience accurately calculating, posting, correcting, and managing accounting records.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Familiarity with payroll in a school environment is an asset.
· Familiarity with payroll in a unionized environment is an asset.
· Experience with the PayWorks system or other electronic Payroll systems is required.
· Possess excellent knowledge of accounting principles, tax regulations, health benefit program, BC Employment Standards, payroll legislation and payroll year-end reporting require.
· Experience with the reconciliation of recurring payroll and benefit accounts and statements (general payroll and Receiver General Remittances, WorkSafe BC remittances, and extended health/dental, Life, LTD insurance statements).
· Exceptional analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and meet strict deadlines.
· Experience gathering data, compiling, and preparing payroll/financial reports.
· Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written).
· Demonstrate an ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality with sensitive personal information with professionalism.
· Provide exceptional customer service by responding promptly to employee inquiries related to payroll, benefits, and leave, and resolving issues and discrepancies in a timely and professional manner.
· High attention to detail, a high degree of accuracy and ability to meet deadlines.
· Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
· Demonstrated intermediate Microsoft Office Suite skills, with advanced Microsoft Excel skills to manipulate and analyze complex data sets with ease.
· Ability to work under pressure, use independent judgement and discretion, with minimal direction.
· Proven track record of high productivity, the ability to work effectively under pressure and ensure deadlines are met.
· Actively support the vision, mission, and values of our school
· Busy office setting, fast-paced environment.
· Overtime as required.
A career with St. Margaret’s School will offer you the opportunity to be part of dedicated team of professionals in a dynamic and rewarding educational environment. This position is located on the school campus, with access to rapid transit, on-site gym, and other amenities.
Interested candidates are invited to submit an application package, including a covering letter, resume, and professional references, quoting the Posting #2023079 in the subject line of your email, by November 19, 2023, to:
St. Margaret’s School
1080 Lucas Avenue
Victoria, BC V8X 3P7
Email: [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.