St. Margaret’s School (SMS) is Western Canada’s only all-girls, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada on the traditional territories of the Lekwungen and Wsikem peoples. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girls’ learning and leadership development, providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7–12).
The Information Technology (IT) Manager works closely with members of the administrative team, faculty, and students. This position is responsible for a range of duties involving the management, support, approval, procurement and implementation of all computer hardware, software and operation systems, including the school telephone system. The primary role is to ensure the smooth and effective running of the extended Information Technology infrastructure and systems. This position will ensure that the IT infrastructure is optimal in design to support the education needs and ensure integration with the vision, mission and goals as set out in the Strategic Plan. The IT Manager will be responsible for managing a budget, and other administrative duties including managing and mentoring the IT team and infusing a teamwork ethic.
- Customer Focus
- Team Work
- Problem Solving
- Planning & Organizing
- Accountability & Dependability
- Decision Making & Judgement
- Ethics & Integrity
- Develop the overall IT framework comprising of IT procedures, practices, and procurement strategies.
- Setup and maintenance of the IT infrastructure encompassing telecommunication systems and networks, internet connectivity links and networks, computers/hardware, software systems, applications and data bases.
- Identify IT requirements such as desktops, laptops, projectors, cell phones and hand-held communication devices, computer peripherals and networking equipment.
- Coordinate event management and structures relating to the school (Assemblies, Drills, Audio-video activities).
- Authorize the deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development and support of all hardware and software based on department needs.
- Evaluate the overall effectiveness of network operations and existing technologies.
- Provide expertise and training to employees, students, and parents on all IT issues.
- Coordinate the IT infrastructure to ensure alignment with strategic and business priorities.
- Develop and maintain a collaborative working relationship with users, vendors, ISABC IT working group, and other related groups.
- Accountable for the delivery of all Information Technology services and assets throughout the school.
- Network administration including network design, integrity, security, disaster recovery, and federation service management.
- SMS hardware and software systems, application servers, internet, backup and recovery systems, router, Firewalls, LAN, VLAN/WAN management, and phone systems.
- Set corporate standards and develop policies related to computer and network security, the use of and access to data, and electronic communications to meet all school requirements.
- Manage school-wide technology budget, projects, and priorities.
- Assess and proactively manage risk related to Information Technology and records at the school.
- Supervise and mentor IT team members.
- Oversee web services and accounts.
- All other duties as required.
Requirements and Qualifications
- University Degree, or a College diploma in Computer Science or related field.
- Equivalent education and/or experience may also be considered.
- Comprehensive knowledge of technology trends and capabilities.
- Expert knowledge of the following technologies:
- Domain configuration and management
- Switches, hubs, UPS and cabling
- MS Exchange Server
- Workstation/laptop management
- LAN/VLAN administration
- Web technologies
- Network ACLs
- Database technologies
- Network Virtualization
- Antivirus technologies
- DNS servers, DHCP
- G-Suite administration
- Backup Exec
- Office 365 administration
- Linus based systems
- Network security
- WIFI and wireless technologies
- Advanced knowledge of project management principles including planning, scheduling, and execution of short- and long-term projects. Formal coursework in business and/or project management would be considered an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of principles, methods and techniques of systems analysis, design, development, implementation, and operation within a mission-critical environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of network and systems administration.
- Demonstrated experience managing complex information systems infrastructure, ideally in an educational setting.
- Proven track record of professional development related to Information Technology, and records management.
- Ability to understand classroom and business issues and opportunities and translate them into technology solutions.
- Highly motivated and well organized.
- Ability to manage several simultaneous projects to completion on time, on budget and in scope.
- Ability to integrate systems and interfaces using existing infrastructure.
- Ability to adapt and seek solutions from a variety of perspectives.
- Highly developed analytical and documentation skills.
- Excellent communication, teamwork, and interpersonal skills.
- Regular hours of work, Monday to Friday, 37.5 hour per week.
- Overtime as required.
- Manual dexterity to operate computer and other office equipment.
- Fast-paced environment.
- Sitting for long periods of time.
- Lifting and/or moving up to 20lbs may be required.
A career with St. Margaret’s School will offer you the opportunity to be part of dedicated team of professionals in a dynamic and rewarding educational environment. We offer a competitive compensation and benefit package, including comprehensive health benefits coverage. This full-time position is located on the school campus, with access to rapid transit, on-site gym, and other amenities.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a covering letter, resume and references, quoting the Posting number #2022015, by October 15, 2021 to:
St. Margaret’s School
1080 Lucas Avenue
Victoria, BC V8X 3P7
Email: [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.