St. Margaret’s is Western Canada’s only all-girls, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international center for girls’ learning and leadership development providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7-12). A committed, high caliber staff, a beautiful campus, and an innovative, integrated curriculum create an environment that challenges students to achieve their academic and leadership potential.
The Human Resources Manager guides and supports recruitment, selection and engagement of employees, people and performance management, health and wellness programs, process improvement, employee relations, employment policies and succession planning. This person provides Collective Agreement interpretations, and direction on all Union matters. The Manager works closely with the Leadership Team, providing expertise and counsel in areas related to Human Resource Management.
Teamwork and collaboration are very important in this very busy department, where attention to details and accuracy are key. Flexibility with regards to working schedules will be required. This is an excluded position.
Core and Leadership Competencies
- Integrity & Trust
- Building Effective Teams
- Service Orientation
- School & Business Acumen
- Communication & Collaboration
- Managerial Courage
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Strategic Agility
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to
Recruitment, Selection and Employee Engagement
- Identify recruitment strategies and provide direction, assistance, and consistency in relation to the recruitment and selection process, including creating or revising job descriptions, job posting and advertisements, conducting employment interviews, reference and criminal background checks as well as verifying qualifications.
- Conduct new employee orientation and onboarding processes.
- Responsible for all contracts related to faculty and staff.
People and Performance Management
- Tracking and following up on the performance review process.
- Provide consultative advice on disciplinary matters, recommend action to be taken, and attend meetings on request.
- Design and implement training and development in line with the strategic priorities.
- Recommend and initiate ‘best practices’ that support an exemplary growth mind set work environment using techniques such as employee surveys, programs, and guidelines benefiting the academic environment.
- Primary resource for addressing and resolving employee questions and enquiries.
- Conduct investigations as required.
- Provide guidance to all employees on the interpretation of the Collective Agreement between the School and the Professional Employee’s Association and the School’s Policies to ensure consistency and adherence, as well as legislative requirements.
- Provide support for the continual review and development of the Faculty and Staff handbooks.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining employee files and for safeguarding confidential information.
- Facilitate and participate in the termination process including planning, preparing appropriate documentation, managing the exit process, and conducting exit interviews.
Human Resources Management
- Develop, implement, and facilitate the full range of human resource management processes, including development and design of performance management systems for staff.
- Preparation of annual FTE letters, resignation acceptance, leave confirmations, etc.
- Assist with key programs and projects such as privacy, recruitment and retention, health and wellness, disability management, succession planning, HR policies and procedures, occupational health and safety, and time and attendance.
- Assist in the development of the HR budget and monitor expenditures while adhering to budgetary approvals.
- Assist in the development of HR strategies and ensure the annual goals are aligned with the strategic direction of the school.
- Track and provide statistical HR metric reports to highlight recruitment, turnover, and demographic trends.
- Maintain HRIS data integrity, inputting as required, updating information, and running reports.
- Other duties, responsibilities and projects as assigned.
- Remain current with best practices, changes in employment law and industry standards.
- Assist with collective bargaining and liaise with the Union Labour Relation Officer on all matters that arise.
- Actively support the vision, mission, and values of our school.
- Participate actively in Independent School Association networks (ISABC, CAIS).
Requirements and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education and CPHR designation.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a union environment.
- Experienced in HR “best practices” with proven success in developing and implementing innovative programs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to act as a silent partner within the school environment to always work towards creating a great work environment for all employees.
- Must possess sound judgment, be tactful and always maintain confidentiality.
- Strong diplomatic, negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated abilities in the areas of recruitment, employee relations, performance management and training.
- Familiar with employment legislation at both Federal and Provincial level.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
A career with St. Margaret’s School will offer you the opportunity to be part of dedicated team of professionals in a dynamic and rewarding educational environment. We offer a competitive compensation and benefit package, including comprehensive health benefits coverage. This full-time position is located on the school campus, with access to rapid transit, on-site gym, and other amenities.
Interested candidates are invited to apply, including a covering letter, curriculum vitae, professional references (in Word or PDF format), quoting the Posting #2022021.
St. Margaret’s School
1080 Lucas Avenue
Victoria, BC V8X 3P7
Email: [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.