St. Margaret’s School (SMS) is Western Canada’s only all-girls, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada on the traditional territories of the Lekwungen and Wsikem peoples. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girls’ learning and leadership development, providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7–12).
The Operations Team is dedicated to working in partnership with faculty, families, students, and community members to ensure SMS is a frontrunner in all girl’s education. We hire great people for outstanding jobs. We are looking for an Administrative Assistant to provide support within the Operations department. We need your help to enhance our ability to deliver prompt and professional service. Your enthusiasm will assist you when connecting with colleagues, external contractors, community partners, school families, and school personnel.
Bring your resourcefulness and effective problem-solving skills to a role where you can really make a difference. In this role you will provide support to the Operations Team. Your excellent relationship skills, combined with your unique knowledge of contracting processes, documentation, as well as your strong experience in providing administrative support in a high-performance environment make you an ideal candidate for this role.
- Customer Focus
- Team Work
- Problem Solving
- Planning & Organizing
- Accountability & Dependability
- Decision Making & Judgement
- Ethics & Integrity
Hours – 37.5 hours per week, full-time, year round
Salary – $25.15 – $27.80 per hour, depending on years of service at SMS. This is a bargaining unit position in the Professional Employees Association.
- Providing administrative and clerical support by drafting, transcribing, and typing correspondence, reports, presentations, and memoranda.
- Researches, organizes, and summarizes support materials. Generates reports and presentations on behalf of the Assistant Head, Operations and Operation Managers.
- Responds to a variety of internal and external inquiries by serving as the primary point of contact.
- Manage appointment calendars including scheduling and coordinating meetings, speaking engagements, and/or conferences for the Assistant Head, Operations. Resolving scheduling conflicts and issues for the Operations team.
- Coordinates the workflow within the assigned department. Receives, reviews, and processes information and takes follow-up action as requested.
- Brainstorms, develops, and implements new work methods and procedures in partnership with the department team members. Identifies problems, develops alternate solutions, and implements changes.
- Organizes meetings as directed. Books and set up meeting rooms, prepares meeting agenda, organizes meeting materials, records and prepares minutes of meeting.
- Establish and co-ordinates administrative policies and procedures.
- Assists in the monitoring of expenditures for budget reports by capturing, compiling, and calculating information.
- Performs record management duties maintaining filing systems and databases.
- Other duties, relevant to the position, shall be assigned as required.
The Operations team is looking for a person with an eye for detail. You can juggle numerous tasks in a busy school environment and conduct business in a professional manner. You like helping people and you display excellent communication skills.
You will take a thorough, hands-on approach to deliver high quality and precise work. A focused approach is needed to complete routine day to day tasks and hand changing calendars, priorities, and timelines. You will carry a high level of integrity, discretion, and confidentiality.
- Office Administration Degree or Diploma.
- Minimum of three to five years’ experience as an Office Administrator or Administrative Assistant.
- Minimum three to five years recent related experience in an educational environment, mid-size complex business, government, or health care environment.
- Computer literate and masterful in the use of office-based software including Microsoft Office, Power Point, Excel, Adobe, Google Docs, and data bases.
- Superior typing and data entry skills; excellent spelling, punctuation, and grammar skills.
- Ability to communicate efficiently, effectively, and accurately with all members of the school community.
- Able to prepare and write correspondence, including memos, letters, etc.
- General mathematical skills.
- Ability to apply understanding to carry out instructions in written, verbal, or diagram form.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering, as well as inventory control of these items.
- Able to maintain filing systems and basic databases.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Meticulous records maintenance skills.
- Superior telephone manners and strong interpersonal skills.
- Always maintain a positive and professional image.
- Type 55wpm and are proficient with Microsoft Office applications at an intermediate to high level.
- Early morning start.
- Manual dexterity to operate computer and other office equipment.
- Busy office setting, fast-paced environment.
- Lifting and/or moving up to 20lbs may be required.
- Repetitive work.
- Sitting for long periods of time.
- Overtime as required.
A career with St. Margaret’s School will offer you the opportunity to be part of dedicated team of professionals in a dynamic and rewarding educational environment. We offer a competitive compensation and benefit package, including comprehensive health benefits coverage. This full-time position is located on the school campus, with access to rapid transit, on-site gym, and other amenities.
Interested candidates are invited to submit an application package, that includes a covering letter, curriculum vitae and professional references, quoting the Posting #2021049 to:
St. Margaret’s School
1080 Lucas Avenue
Victoria, BC V8X 3P7
Email: [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.