GRADE 6 TEACHER
Junior School (Gr. 1-7)
Full Time, 1.0 FTE
Maternity Leave Coverage from April 26th, 2021 to June 25, 2021
Teaching at York House School
York House School is a vibrant and close-knit school community where people feel valued, engaged, and connected to the school. Our faculty enjoys robust professional development opportunities that support the ongoing design of strong foundational and transformative learning experiences. Our rigorous and innovative programs enable our Yorkies to develop knowledge, skills, and global competencies to succeed in the world beyond our doors. On an ongoing basis, we invite the creative input of faculty in the development of these programs.
About this Role
York House School is inviting applications from compassionate, innovative, and qualified Intermediate Grade Teachers committed to providing an exceptional 21st Century learning environment for our girls. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellence in instructional and assessment practices, a passion for teaching, and a strong understanding of how girls learn best. This individual will teach Grade 6 and have opportunities to be involved in the co-curricular and extra-curricular activities that enhance students’ experiences at school.
- Bachelor of Education
- British Columbia Teachers certification or equivalent
- Familiarity with the new BC Curriculum is an asset
- Elementary / Intermediate school qualification
- Experience in teaching language arts and social studies is essential
- Experience in teaching differentiated mathematics via the use of manipulatives and small group instruction.
- Minimum of three years of Elementary / Intermediate teaching experience
- Coaching and/or extra-curricular experience is an asset
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Strong knowledge of British Columbia Curriculum
- Knowledge of the current research on girls and learning
- Demonstrated experience as an enthusiastic, innovative, and caring educator. A commitment to diversity and inclusion in all its many dimensions
- Collaborative and flexible, supportive, and effective team-player
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships with all stakeholders
- Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to educating the whole student
- Demonstrated ability to integrate technology purposefully to transform learning
- Demonstrated ability to differentiate instruction and assessment practices to meet the needs of individual learners
- Experience with using Understanding by Design as a framework to teach for deeper understanding
- Experience using an inquiry-based and project-based learning approach
- Committed to continuous professional growth and improvement
Faculty at York House are provided the following:
- A diverse and inclusive work environment
- Small class sizes and time for planning and working collaboratively
- Access to exceptional resources
- A robust peer Mentorship Program
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
Closing Date: January 15, 2021
All employees of YHS must be able to provide a passed vulnerable sector screening criminal record report. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About York House School
York House School, located in the heart of Vancouver, is one of Canada’s leading independent schools for girls. Founded in 1932 by seven progressive and insightful women, York House provides an outstanding education for approximately 650 girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12. For more information about York House School, please visit our website at yorkhouse.ca.
To apply for this job please visit yorkhouse.bamboohr.com.