Start in August 2022
Working at York House School
York House School is a vibrant and close-knit school community where people feel valued, engaged, and connected to the school. All Staff contribute towards our rigorous and innovative programs that enable our Yorkies to develop knowledge, skills, and global competencies to succeed in the world beyond our doors.
About this Role
York House School is seeking a Communications Specialist who is a passionate storyteller to join the Communications & Marketing team at York House School. In this role, the Communications Specialist will develop written and digital content that communicates the mission and vision of the school, captures the imagination, and builds a sense of pride among our diverse and closely connected stakeholder groups including students, staff, parents, and alumnae. This content will be shared across various media including traditional print publications, digital platforms such as our website, our social media channels, our school blog, and video.
- Manage and create digital content and social media, including but not limited to photos, videos, graphics, reels etc., for our school-wide social media channels that are consistent with our mission and brand in look and feel as well in tone and voice
- Develop a social media content calendar in collaboration with the Communications teams
- Write compelling content that supports our strategic priorities to be shared in our York House School blog as well as in our Onward & Upward magazine, annual report, our York Rose alumnae magazine, and other writing projects as required
- Editing of general correspondence and announcements developed by various administrators as needed
- Ensure that all content is coordinated with the Communications & Marketing team
- Develop content and story ideas by exploring activities and initiatives taking place across our campuses (Little School, Junior School, and Senior School)
- Possess a keen eye for imagery and can identify strong graphic or photographic materials to support content
- Aggregate content to be shared with the ISABC and CAIS organizations to help profile the school
- Support sending emails to our community through an online email system (Blackbaud)
- Review social media analytics and engagement to improve upon new strategies and tactics continuously
- Monitor digital and social media for conversations relevant to the school
- Edit video content or photography using the Adobe Creative Suite
- Stay up to date with the latest photography, design, and social media trends
- Other communications duties as well as other tasks that arise, as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Innovative, organized, and self-motivated with a keen interest in driving our strategic messages to internal and external stakeholders
- A confident communicator who enjoys working collaboratively as part of a team to brainstorm content ideas and support key initiatives at the school
- Skilled in creating engaging content on social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter and Facebook
- A strategic thinker with meticulous attention to detail
- Works well under pressure and meets tight deadlines
- Experience working with external vendors for the production of collateral materials
- Experience capturing and editing video content for use across multiple platforms
- Photography experience is an asset
- Possesses a strategic approach to problem solving and can anticipate potential reputational issues
- Experience creating podcasts is an asset
- Demonstrates professionalism, discretion, discernment and confidentiality, which are necessary for respecting privacy, maintaining trust, and building positive community relations with varying stakeholders and community groups
- Knowledgeable in the use of graphic editing tools, including Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom
- University degree or diploma in journalism, marketing, communications, or public relations
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in education or a corporate environment
- Strong command of Google Suite (Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Forms) and/or Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint) as well as the Adobe Creative Suite, with emphasis on Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, and Premiere
- Proficiency in web design (HTML, CSS) and website management is an asset
- Photography and graphic design skills are an asset
Please apply online here.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed after August 15, 2022, when the hiring committee returns from summer vacation. All employees of YHS must be able to provide a passed vulnerable sector screening criminal record report. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About York House School
York House School, located in the heart of Vancouver, is one of Canada’s leading independent schools for girls. Founded in 1932 by seven progressive and insightful women, York House provides an outstanding education for approximately 650 girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12. For more information about York House School, please visit our website at yorkhouse.ca.
To apply for this job please visit yorkhouse.bamboohr.com.