St. John’s School is seeking a contract full-time Building Services Worker. The role is expected to work 37.5 hours per week.
An IB World School, St. John’s School is an independent, co-educational, non-denominational, university preparatory day school situated in the Kitsilano neighborhood of Vancouver. Serving 570 K through Grade 12 students in an urban setting, St. John’s boasts a vibrant, accomplished, well rounded student community striving for excellence in academics, athletics and the arts. One hundred percent of graduates are accepted by the best post-secondary programmes around the world.
St. John’s is a member of the Independent Schools Association of BC, a member of the Canadian Accredited Independent Schools, and an IB Continuum World School offering the Primary Years, Middle Years and Diploma Programmes.
Visit www.stjohns.bc.ca for more information about the school.
Position Summary and Mandate:
The Building Services Worker ensures that school buildings and property are maintained in a healthy, safe, and sanitary manner. The Building Services Worker responds to daily requests for janitorial work, repairs and maintenance, equipment assembly, and event support
▪ Vacuums, dusts, sweeps, mops, washes and waxes offices, rooms, lobbies, and other school areas as assigned.
▪ Inspects all washrooms, hallways, change rooms and stairways to ensure safety and cleanliness
▪ Monitors and removes garbage from school grounds, the surrounding area, and parkade
▪ Cleans building exteriors, which includes pressure washing, window cleaning, and graffiti removal
▪ Performs snow removal and other seasonal landscaping responsibilities
▪ Cleans front canopies exterior canopies
▪ Performs or assists with a multitude of tasks related to building services maintenance and repair, including (but not limited to) lighting, plumbing, carpentry, drywall, painting, furniture assembly and repairs, floor covering, and equipment maintenance
▪ Troubleshoots electrical, plumbing and heating issues
▪ Inspects playground structures for defects, makes repairs and/or advises Facilities Manager of action to be taken
▪ Quickly responds to requests for service from faculty and staff
▪ Assists with traffic management for dropoff and pickup
▪ Supports school emergency drills and procedures (i.e., school evacuations)
▪ Provide professional and efficient support for event setups and teardowns
▪ Delivers mail packages, paper supplies, and other materials as required
▪ Opens and/or secures building doors and locks
▪ Continually monitors the condition of the faculty and grounds; remedies issues or reports them to the Facilities Manager
▪ Ongoing and effective communication with the Facilities Manager, team members and clients
▪ All areas of the school are receiving care and attention on a daily basis; floors, stairways, and walkways are clean and free of debris, and washrooms are maintained to an expected standard of cleanliness and working order
▪ Maintenance tasks are being performed to the expected standard
▪ Daily janitorial requests are met in a prompt and complete manner
▪ Event setup and teardown requests are being completed accurately and on-time
Education and Work Experience:
▪ Previous experience working in a Building Services or maintenance role
- A Building Service Worker Certificate is preferred
▪ WHMIS certification or knowledge
▪ A valid first aid certificate (BC Occupational First Aid Level 1)
▪ BC Class 5 Driver’s License
- A BC Class 2 Driver’s License with an Air Brake endorsement is preferred
▪ Experience with hand tools, electric tools, hand carts, and furniture dollies
▪ Basic mechanical and problem-solving skills
▪ Available for shift work that may fall outside of 8am to 4pm working hours
▪ Able to work on weekends and evenings, when required
▪ Effectively communicates with teachers, staff, students and parents
▪ Willingness to take on new tasks and to learn new skills; a flexible mindset
▪ Self-motivated with a proven ability to work independently
▪ Able to work in variable climate conditions, indoors and outdoors, with and around various machinery
▪ Can operate a genie lift
▪ Ability to operate a school bus is an asset
▪ Has basic computer skills and can interact with ticket/work order systems
Conditions of Employment
The successful candidate will be required to complete child abuse prevention training provided by St. John’s School and provide consent for a criminal reference check for vulnerable sector. Clearance on criminal record check for vulnerable sector is a condition of employment.
▪ Reports to: Facilities Manager
▪ Key internal interactions: Receptionists, teachers, students, principals, department heads
All interested candidates should apply with the following;
- Cover letter
- copies of first aid certification
- copy of BC Class 5 Driver’s License
- copies of any other relevant trades certificates
Work hours: 37.5 hours per week. Work schedule is to be determined by the Facilities Manager, based on the needs of the School.
Expected start date: ASAP
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Mr. Roberto Maggiorani, Facilities Manager
St. John’s School
2215 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC, V6K 2J1
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.