Position Summary and Mandate
The Event Coordinator supports the mission and objectives of St. John’s School by playing a key role in building community spirit and creating a welcoming atmosphere for visitors. The Event Coordinator provides top-notch event planning, execution and hosting. The role also acts as backup support for the Junior and Senior School reception.
● Creating and managing the school’s events calendar
● Creating and managing budgets and tracking incurred expenses for individual events
● In collaboration with all departments and staff across the School, the Event Coordinator will support the overall mission, vision, and strategic direction through various school events and initiatives. Specifically, assists in the planning and execution of events in the Senior School, Junior School, Advancement Office, Admissions Office. In addition, the Event Coordinator works closely with the Recording Secretary of the Board and Executive Assistant for Board of Governor related events, such as Board retreats, Board Appreciation and Staff Appreciation events
● Lead the creation of new events, and maintain, organize and coordinate existing events from concept to completion, and create high quality guest experiences.
● Smooth planning and execution of all events:
- Ensuring all school events are organized following procedures in the Staff Handbook, and requests for events are initiated with the event planning form on MySJS.
- Ensuring appropriate understanding of the specific needs of each event, including but not limited to catering, refreshments, tables, linen, chairs, décor, audio-visual needs, other equipment, the number of participants/guests, dietary needs, other logistics, and greeters
- Manage the solicitation process for logistic vendors and suppliers. Secure all required contracts, invoices, proof of insurance and other documentation as needed.
- Booking the appropriate room or venue for the scope of the event
- Sourcing budget-appropriate and cost-effective supplies, refreshments, catering, and décor for event
- Picking up and setting up food and décor for events
- Communicate with the Facilities department to provide event set-up, take down and security requirements.
- Communicate with IT about the audio-visual and digital needs
- Being on hand as required, for the duration of the event and be directly involved in set- up, clean-up, and troubleshooting to ensure the smooth execution of events
- Provide a debrief report at the end of the event on budget vs. actual expenses and suggest improvements to upcoming events.
● Monthly meetings with direct supervisors for event planning, update and debrief
● Reports to: Senior School Principal, Junior School Principal, Executive Director of Advancement, Director of Admissions.
● Takes direction from: Various department heads as relevant to each event
● Key internal interactions: admin staff, teachers, Facilities Management, IT support, School Principals, Department Heads, Advancement, Admissions, Recording Secretary to the Board, Executive Assistant, Operations, and Human Resources
● Key external interactions: all parents, all vendors for event planning, including grocers, caterers, hotels
● Enthusiastic and creative with a “can-do” attitude
● Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
● Attention to detail, strong organizational skills, creative thinking, and a passion for events
● Ability to multitask, prioritize and plan several concurrent events
● Ability to work under pressure in a dynamic and changing environment
● Excellent written, presentation, verbal and interpersonal communications skills
● Takes ownership and accountability and possesses a high level of integrity
● Minimum two years experience in event planning and execution, preferably in the not-for-profit sector. Experience working at an independent school is considered an asset
● Valid BC driver’s license and flexibility to travel locally.
● Ability to work flexible hours as some events are in the early mornings/evenings/weekend
● Valid and current Serving It Right license
● Smooth execution of events with minimal need for support from other departments
● Effective communication between various departments to address the needs of the event
● Positive feedback from event participants and direct supervisors regarding the operation of the event
● Events completed within budget and in a cost-effective way
Details of position
● Full time permanent role
● Position begins between August 1 and August 14, 2022
All interested candidates should include the following items in their applications
- Cover Letter
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of three professional references
- Copies of any relevant certificates and diplomas
- Send to Renee Zhang, HR Coordinator [email protected]
Job posting will remain open until filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in St. John’s School.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.