Department: Senior School
Supervises: No Supervisory Duties
Interfaces with: Students, teachers, and the entire school community
Reports to: Senior School Principal
Start Date: August 25, 2023
Stratford Hall, an independent, K-12 IB World School, invites applications from individuals who wish to join our dynamic team. Located in Vancouver, BC, the School is home to 530 students and a faculty and staff of over 85 teachers and support staff. Our graduates attend the top post-secondary schools in Canada, the U.S. and abroad. Stratford Hall was the first IB continuum school in BC and has a rich tradition of educational excellence in the Primary Years, Middle Years and Diploma Programmes.
Working collaboratively with the Learning Support team, teachers, other support staff, and the MYP coordinator, enhance learning by supporting students from grades 6-8. Support students’ executive functioning within the learning environment, provide pastoral care for students, and perform other duties as assigned by the classroom teacher or administrators. As key members of the faculty, Resource Teachers contribute to the development and overall improvement of the School.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
1. Teaching and Learning
● Work in classrooms with small groups and individual students
● Recognize a variety of levels of language competency and maintain constant awareness of the needs of English language learners (emergent bilingual learners)
● Ensure students are actively engaged in their own learning
● Empower students to feel responsible and take action
● Support teachers in the pursuit of open-ended inquiry and real-life investigations
● Accommodate special needs of students as directed
● Teach lessons as directed by the classroom teacher or Principal
● Contribute to the documentation of individual student learning progress
● Advocate for the needs of individual learners and work collaboratively with the Learning Support Specialist to target areas for growth
● Assist in organizing events specific to the grade/class/subject area
● Provide meaningful and timely communication to faculty, staff and management
● Assist in monitoring student attendance, behaviour and progress
● Inform the appropriate ‘person of responsibility’ when issues or concerns arise
● Initiate and take responsibility for classroom displays as directed
● Create and prepare teaching resources as directed
● Maintain resources and storage areas as directed
3. Professional Appraisal and Development
● As instructed, engage in professional development in order to better understand the needs of students and the classroom instructional program
● Actively participate in constructive professional growth and evaluation
● Seek and act upon constructive feedback and advice
4. Involvement in the Wider School Community
● Take an active role within the school community by making a conscious effort to interact with all staff and be aware of current school events and initiatives
● Positively support school initiatives organized by staff, students or parents through active participation and promotion within classrooms
● Promote school unity through taking an active role in diversity, equity, and inclusion education
● Attend school functions and special events
● Assist in the preparation of grade or assembly presentations
● Attend and actively participate in scheduled meetings
● Maintain an active presence in common areas and during scheduled supervision duties
● Take positive action to ensure the school is clean and well maintained, classrooms are neat and attractive and displays in classrooms and general purpose areas reflect the pursuit of excellence
At times Resource Teachers may be requested to take on additional duties as assigned by the Principal.
Days of work: Resource Teachers work on days on which teachers are at school, including the in-service days prior to the start of the school year and professional development days during the school year.
Specific hours and duties for each Resource Teacher position
● The hours of work are from 8:00am to 4:00pm. Responsibilities, in addition to teaching and support, include participation in the co-curricular program.
● Bachelor of Education: typically Resource Teachers are newly qualified teachers, who are recent graduates from a Bachelor of Education program
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Team player with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
● Computer Literacy: computer literate with experience with G Suite
● All RTs will be trained in First Aid if they are not currently certified
All interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume, attention Senior School Principal, to [email protected]
We are committed to supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring a barrier-free work environment. We welcome applications from all qualified job seekers, including applicants from historically underrepresented groups such as BIPOC (black, indigenous, and people of color), persons with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ (persons of all sexual orientations and genders). If you are an applicant with a disability, and require accommodation in either the recruitment process or on the job, we will work together with you to provide the reasonable workplace accommodations you need.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.