SENIOR KINDERGARTEN TEACHER
at York House Little School
Full-Time, 1.0 FTE
Leave coverage from September 1, 2023 to December 15, 2023
Working at York House School
York House School is a vibrant and close-knit school community where people feel valued, engaged, and connected to the school. All staff contribute towards empowering our students to develop the knowledge, skills, and competencies to succeed in the world beyond our doors. On our path to creating a more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable future, we share the belief that individuals have inherent rights and deserve to be respected for who they are; that every member of our community belongs here and feels included; that we must treat others with dignity and expect the same in return.
About this Role
York House School has had a full-day Kindergarten program for over 30 years. Just minutes away from the main school, the Little School offers a nurturing learning environment for our youngest Yorkies. We offer a rich, educational program dedicated to the Reggio Emilia Philosophy. Our kindergarten teachers enjoy a close co-teaching partnership.
- Co-teach a Senior Kindergarten class with a focus on a Reggio Emilia-inspired approach and with emphasis placed on the development of foundational literacy, numeracy, and social-emotional skills
- Plan units collaboratively using Understanding by Design
- Implement inquiry- and project-based learning
- Document students’ learning using photographs, videos, transcripts of conversations, and written reflections
- Use assessment as, for, and of learning
- Maintain portfolios as a form of assessment and evaluation
- Write report cards in accordance with BC Ministry of Education expectations
- Meet with parents to discuss individual children’s progress
- Supervise students during recess and lunch breaks as required
- Participate in Admissions Department Open Houses
- Bachelor of Education
- British Columbia Teachers’ certification or equivalent
- Three years minimum of Kindergarten teaching experience
- Additional qualifications in primary reading/literacy instruction is an asset
- French, Music, or PE teaching qualifications an asset
- Experience working within a Reggio-inspired environment or knowledge and understanding of the Reggio philosophy is an asset
- Independent School experience is an asset
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Collaborative and flexible team-player
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to use technology purposefully within the classroom environment
- Experience with teaching the new BC Ministry of Education Curriculum
- Knowledge of differing learning needs and a toolbox of strategies for facilitating student success
- Knowledge of the current research on girls and learning
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, time-management and communication skills
- A commitment toward continued professional development and growth
- As a member of the YHS Faculty, demonstrate the ability to engage in a collegial and supportive manner
- It is recognized that teachers provide services to the school in both curricular, and co-curricular activities
Faculty at York House are provided the following:
- A diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Small class sizes and time for planning and working collaboratively.
- Access to exceptional resources.
- A robust peer Mentorship Program.
- Competitive compensation and benefits package.
Review our Career Page for more information about benefits and programs for staff.
Please apply online here.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as they arrive. All employees of YHS must be able to provide a passed vulnerable sector screening criminal record report. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About York House School
York House School, located in the heart of Vancouver, is one of Canada’s leading independent schools for girls. Founded in 1932 by seven progressive and insightful women, York House provides an outstanding education for approximately 650 girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12. For more information about York House School, please visit our website at yorkhouse.ca.
To apply for this job please visit yorkhouse.bamboohr.com.