Job Description Title: Junior School Resource Teacher (Grades 2-3)
Reports to: Junior School Principal
Department: Junior School
Supervises: No Supervisory Duties
Interfaces with: Students, teachers, and the entire school community
Stratford Hall, an independent, K-12 IB World School, invites applications from individuals who wish to join our dynamic team. Located in Vancouver, BC, the School is home to 530 students and a faculty and staff of over 85 teachers and support staff. Our graduates attend the top post-secondary schools in Canada, the U.S. and abroad. Stratford Hall was the first IB continuum school in BC and has a rich tradition of educational excellence in the Primary Years, Middle Years and Diploma Programmes.
Under the management of the Principal, working collaboratively with teachers and other support staff, Resource Teachers enhance learning by supporting students, organizing the learning environment, providing pastoral care for students, and performing other duties as assigned by teachers or administrators. As key members of the faculty, Resource Teachers contribute to the development and overall improvement of the School. Typically, Resource Teachers are newly qualified teachers, who are recent graduates from a Bachelor of Education programme.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
1. Teaching and Learning
● Work in classrooms with small groups and individual students
● Recognize a variety of levels of language competency and maintain constant awareness of the needs of English language learners
● Ensure students are actively engaged in their own learning
● Empower students to feel responsible and take action
● Support teachers in the pursuit of open-ended inquiry and real-life investigations
● Accommodate special needs of students as directed
● Teach lessons as directed by the teacher or Principal
● Assist in organizing events specific to the grade/class/subject area
● Provide meaningful and timely communication to faculty, staff and management
● Assist in monitoring student attendance, behaviour and progress
● Inform the appropriate ‘person of responsibility’ when issues or concerns arise
● Initiate and take responsibility for classroom displays as directed
● Create and prepare teaching resources as directed
● Maintain resources and storage areas as directed
3. Professional Appraisal and Development
● As instructed, engage in professional development in order to better understand the needs of students and the classroom instructional program
● Actively participate in constructive professional appraisal
● Seek and act upon constructive feedback and advice
4. Involvement in the Wider School Community
● Take an active role within the school community by making a conscious effort to interact with all staff and be aware of current school events and initiatives
● Positively support school initiatives organized by staff, students or parents through active participation and promotion within classrooms
● Promote school unity by attending staff social functions when possible
● Attend special events such as Meet the Teacher Night and concerts
● Assist in the preparation of assembly presentations
● Attend and actively participate in scheduled meetings
● Maintain an active presence in common areas and during scheduled supervision duties
● Take positive action to ensure the school is clean and well maintained, classrooms are neat and attractive and displays in classrooms and general purpose areas reflect the pursuit of excellence
At times Resource Teachers may be requested to take on additional duties as assigned by the Principal.
Days of work: Resource Teachers work on days on which teachers are at school, including the in-service days prior to the start of the school year and professional development days during the school year.
Specific hours and duties for each Resource Teacher position
Junior School Resource Teacher
● The hours of work are from 8:00am to 4:00pm. Responsibilities, in addition to teaching and support, include participation in the extra-curricular program.
● Junior School RTs should have a specialized skill in one more of the following areas: fluency in French or another skill/attribute which adds value to the program, i.e. a speciality in the arts, learning support/gifted, early childhood, etc.
● Bachelor of Education, Elementary preferred
● Bachelor of Education
● BC Teaching Certification
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Team player with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
● Computer Literacy: computer literate with experience with G Suite
● All RTs will be trained in First Aid if they are not currently qualified
All interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume, attention Junior School Principal, to [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.