JUDAIC STUDIES / HEBREW TEACHER
(Part-time to Full-time, beginning September 2023)
Who we are:
King David High School is a top-rated, independent school in central Vancouver with memberships in ISABC and CAIS. Our staff come from all walks of life and backgrounds – we value diversity. King David staff members enjoy working in a warm, collegial environment where we collaborate to ensure our students reach their potential. King David nurtures a Jewish culture characterized by a shared tradition, a common dedication to social justice, and a love for learning.
About the position:
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic Jewish Studies educator capable of inspiring children to love learning and Judaism. The successful candidate will join a Judaic Studies team that focuses on nurturing each student’s unique talents and passions, empowering them to express and act upon their best interests. The immersive Jewish experience creates a clear path to Jewish conviction, pride, and identity. Our program encourages students to come to terms with relevant Jewish issues and aims to instill the belief that you can be as moral and holy as you are successful. All of this takes place within an inclusive community that provides a feeling of belonging and an awareness of personal responsibility. You must value diversity as it relates to all people, including aspects of identity, and have respect for indigenous traditions and ways of knowing. Our mission is to help Jewish teenagers, from all backgrounds, embrace Jewish values and traditions as they develop their independence and desire to live a meaningful life.
We have 2 positions: one for a Judaic Studies Teacher and one for a Hebrew Language Teacher. It is possible to combine these positions into one full-time position or to keep them as part-time positions.
Requirements for the position:
- Able to demonstrate excellent skills as a teacher and a passion for teaching Jewish Studies
- Must have a solid knowledge of classical Jewish thought and texts and can teach their relevance to the modern world, AND/OR, a demonstrated ability to teach the Hebrew Language
- Ability to work in, and contribute to, a pluralistic Jewish setting
- Has a minimum of 2 years of experience as a Jewish Studies educator and has good classroom management skills appropriate for high school
- A BC Teaching Certificate or a Jewish Studies Degree, or Jewish Education training, or related field, enabling one to become certified to teach in a BC high school setting
- Assist in collaborating and further developing the Judaic team’s vision and curricular goals
- Use technology as a teacher and to support students’ learning
- Willing to be involved with co-curricular school events and Jewish life programming
- Capable of ongoing reflection, able to self-assess, and accept and apply feedback
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in written form, with students, colleagues, parents and community members of all levels of observance and backgrounds
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Why work at King David:
- King David staff enjoy working in a warm, welcoming, modern and collegial environment
- Professional development is supported, both in and out of school, through conference attendance or course and workshop participation
- We encourage teachers to develop new courses, clubs, teams, and other student opportunities
- We are learning together to teach the new curriculum as we place an emphasis on being at the forefront of change
- We have a young, motivated, and engaged staff with an administration that is committed to creating a safe, positive work environment
- We offer a comprehensive compensation package with salaries well above local public schools, extended health benefits, RRSP pension matching, and other perks
How to apply:
If you are excited to work with a committed and team-oriented group of educators and you have the desire to make a difference in the lives of others, we want to hear from you. King David values diversity, equity and inclusion and we are committed to equal employment opportunities.
Please forward your resume, cover letter, and references to Russ Klein, Head of School at [email protected] We thank all candidates for their applications.
To apply for this job please visit www.kdhs.org.