REPORTS TO: Head of Junior School
POSITION DATES: August 30, 2021 – June 30, 2022
CONTRACT: Full-time (1.0), 1 year term
TEACHING AT WPGA
At WPGA, we focus on the individual child, the whole person and a balanced life. We give each student transformative learning experiences rooted in inquiry, shaped by action and celebrated with joy. Teaching at WPGA is fulfilling, collaborative and dynamic. Our Leadership Teams support our educators to teach with confidence; create relevant, creative curriculum and programs; build meaningful relationships with students and families; and develop professionally.
Our Junior School teachers are valued faculty members who, with the support of the school leadership and teaching teams, provide future-focused, engaging program delivery and a warm, supportive learning environment to their classroom of learners. All members of our PE team instruct students in activities that create growth in sport and enjoyment of being active across all elementary grade levels as needed.This PE Specialist role will focus on grades 3 through 7 and may include younger grades as well.
KEY DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare lesson plans with clear objectives that follow B.C. curriculum standards for Physical Education
Use information in Individualized Education Programmes (IEPs) to strategically adapt instructional activities
- Work collaboratively with homeroom teachers to support the development of integrated lessons and units
- Develop daily lessons and assist other teachers with development of PE lesson plans
- Create an environment that is conducive to learning, creativity and student development
- Maintain appropriate standards of behaviour, mutual respect, and safety during all activities
- Understand the principles of Attachment Theory and how they relate to teaching
- Teach a variety of movement activities, blending dance, games, and fundamental movement skills into lessons
- Incorporate appropriate technology and media in lesson planning
- Maintain on-going assessments and evaluations of students (anecdotal and term summary)
- Model a healthy active, lifestyle and positively contribute to Physical Education within the school community
- Coach extracurricular sporting activities at least two terms per year (track & field and basketball background)
- Participate in professional development conferences and activities pertaining to Physical Education
- Provide internal PE class coverage for other teaching staff
- Maintain first aid and CPR status as required by licensing
- Perform other related duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree or higher qualification in Physical Education, preferably with an emphasis on Movement Education
- Valid BC teaching certification
- Must be eligible to work in Canada at the time of application
- Strong teaching skills with an extensive knowledge in a wide range of PE activities and movement ideas
- Ability to work within a team, with integrity, enthusiasm, initiative and confidence
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on compassion, patience and professionalism
- Self-starter and continuous learner who values and has demonstrated teaching innovation and professional growth
- Positivity, enthusiasm and a sense of fun
For immediate consideration, please email a cover letter and résumé, citing “Intermediate PE Specialist” in the subject line, to WPGA Careers by Friday, May 14, 2021. Your cover letter and résumé MUST be in one file and the file name MUST be LastnameFirstname. Word or PDF are the preferred formats. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.