BIOLOGY & SCIENCE TEACHER
Senior School (Gr. 8-12)
Leave coverage, 1.0 FTE
From September 1, 2023, to June 30, 2024
Working at York House School
York House School is a vibrant and close-knit school community where people feel valued, engaged, and connected to the school. All staff contribute towards empowering our students to develop the knowledge, skills, and competencies to succeed in the world beyond our doors. On our path to creating a more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable future, we share the belief that individuals have inherent rights and deserve to be respected for who they are; that every member of our community belongs here and feels included; that we must treat others with dignity and expect the same in return.
About this Role
York House School is inviting applications from compassionate, innovative, and qualified Science Teachers committed to providing an exceptional 21st Century learning environment for our students. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellence in instructional and assessment practices, a passion for teaching, and a strong understanding of how girls learn best. This individual will also fulfill the role of Teacher Advisor each day and will have opportunities to be involved in the co-curricular and extra-curricular activities that enhance students’ experiences at school.
- Bachelor of Education
- A Master’s degree in Science or equivalent is an asset
- British Columbia Teachers’ certification or equivalent
- Three to five years of teaching experience is preferred
- Experience in delivering a hands-on approach to Science 8, 9,10 is an asset
- A background in Biology is required
- Experience teaching AP Biology is an asset
- Independent School experience is an asset
- Coaching and/or extra-curricular experience is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Strong knowledge of British Columbia Curriculum
- Knowledge of the current research supporting strong assessment practices
- Demonstrated experience as an enthusiastic, innovative, and caring educator with a commitment to diversity and inclusion in all its many dimensions
- Collaborative and flexible, supportive, and effective team-player
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships with all stakeholders
- Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to educating the whole student
- Demonstrated ability to integrate technology purposefully to transform learning
- Demonstrated ability to differentiate instruction and assessment practices to meet the needs of individual learners
- Experience with using Understanding by Design as a framework to teach for deeper understanding
- Committed to continuous professional growth and improvement
- Experience with supporting students interested in Science Fairs is an asset
Faculty at York House are provided the following:
- A diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Small class sizes and time for planning and working collaboratively.
- Access to exceptional resources.
- A robust peer Mentorship Program.
Review our Career Page for more information about benefits and programs for staff.
Please apply online here.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as they arrive. All employees of YHS must be able to provide a passed vulnerable sector screening criminal record report. Compensation is based on qualifications and teaching experience per the salary grid in the Collective Agreement with BCGEU. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About York House School
York House School, located in the heart of Vancouver, is one of Canada’s leading independent schools for girls. Founded in 1932 by seven progressive and insightful women, York House provides an outstanding education for approximately 650 girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12. For more information about York House School, please visit our website at yorkhouse.ca.
To apply for this job please visit yorkhouse.bamboohr.com.