Start Date: August 25, 2023
Division: Senior School
Reports to: Senior School Principal
Interfaces with: students, parents, teachers, senior leaders, support staff
Position Rationale and Goal:
The teacher is the key element in the school’s ability to promote the social, emotional and academic well-being of the students and is the key driver of a school culture that is warm, inviting and unabashedly committed to the ideals of the International Baccalaureate programmes. Consistent with the Ministry of Education and International Baccalaureate programmes, the teacher works within an established framework for the delivery of educational service which supports the school programme. The teacher ensures that the instructional programme is implemented in a way that maximizes learning for all students.
Candidates for this teaching position at the school are expected to possess:
Strong communication skills in English, both spoken and written
Experience teaching Art, Design, and Theory of Knowledge at the secondary school level
Strong organizational, communication, administrative and interpersonal skills, and
The ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
Eligibility for BC teacher certification prior to starting in role
A university degree with a teaching emphasis in a relevant field or completion of a teacher preparation program
* Plans, organizes and implements an appropriate instructional programme in a learning environment that guides and encourages all students to develop and fulfill their academic potential
* Supervises and evaluates all students within their teaching assignment
* Working collaboratively with a team of educational professionals, demonstrates a strong commitment to the planning for improvement process in support of student achievement
* Models and encourages a culture of kindness in support of the IB Learner Profile
* Fosters the development of the attributes of a Stratford Hall graduate in all students
* Understands and acts upon the following:
– All documents pertaining to learning and teaching, including BC Ministry of Education curriculum and relevant IB documentation, course guides; and
– All faculty and family handbooks that outline school policies and practices with particular attention to health, safety and child protection
* Serves as role model with regard to attendance, punctuality, presentation, personal and professional conduct and attire, in all contexts whether online or offline
* Takes responsibility for their own professional development and keeps up to date with research and development in pedagogy and in the grades/subjects they teach
* Communicates effectively and positively with parents and other caregivers as well as with agencies responsible for students’ education and welfare
* Participates in administrative and organizational tasks related to the professional duties of a teacher including:
– Maintaining accurate and up-to-date records of progress and attainment for each student;
– Contributing to the development and maintenance of up-to-date curriculum documentation;
– Providing direction to other personnel who support student learning, as assigned; and
– Assisting in the budgeting, ordering and allocation of equipment and materials
* Attends and contributes to assemblies, events and meetings, some of which may occur outside of regular school hours, including welcome events, assessment day(s), etc.
* Attends staff meetings and serves on committees, as required
* Leads or sponsors a club, council or co-curricular activity or coaches or sponsors a team within the athletics programme
* Assumes additional duties as assigned by their divisional Principal
Commitment to Effective Practice:
Stratford Hall teachers are committed to their development as effective practitioners. This commitment is grounded in the 4 domains of effective practice found in the work of Charlotte Danielson, a common K to 12 framework for effective teaching practice. The competencies expressed in Danielson’s work are the goal to which Stratford Hall teachers aspire. The domains include:
- Domain 1: Planning and Preparation
- Domain 2: The Classroom Environment
- Domain 3: Facilitating Learning
- Domain 4: Professional Responsibilities
All interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume, attention Senior School Principal, to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in working at Stratford Hall. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. This position will remain open until filled.
We are committed to supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring a barrier-free work environment. We welcome applications from all qualified job seekers, including applicants from historically underrepresented groups such as BIPOC (black, indigenous, and people of color), persons with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ (persons of all sexual orientations and genders). If you are an applicant with a disability, and require accommodation in either the recruitment process or on the job, we will work together with you to provide the reasonable workplace accommodations you need.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.